Dr John Outhwaite

Written by a patient at King Edward VII's Hospital Sister Agnes
6th February 2020

I have a complex medical history involving a systemic rare disease and been written off by multiple NHS doctors who told me to abandon my career and all aspirations, before dropping me like a hot potato. All of this has been utterly transformed by Dr Outhwaite. Rather than baulking at complexity, he relishes the challenge. No matter how frightening my symptoms, no matter how complex, rare, alarming or distressing: every single time we have a conversation, unstintingly, unfailingly, he comes up with a concrete plan, he reassures me, and he makes sure that together we make things get better. I always feel I'm consulting an expert, but collaborating at the same time, because he really listens- a quality increasingly rare in today's medical profession. Given the damaging and traumatic experiences I've had over the last 25+ years with doctors, I do not trust doctors lightly. But I would happily put my life in the hands of this incredible doctor. My recommendation to you -------------------------------------------- If you think you are at the end of the road, with no options but to live with unbearable pain limitation, and poor quality of life - think again. See Dr Outhwaite and he will turn things around. His knowledge is second to none; he doesn't pay lip service - instead, he is refreshingly honest, straight-talking, authentic, and for those reasons, empowering. He is an inspiring, super-expert who cares deeply about his patients and their lives. Without him, I wouldn't still be here: it really is that simple. For that reason, my entire family and network of friends owe a great debt of gratitude to this very special doctor: he has saved my life and done so more than once. I will never, ever be able to repay what he has done for me. Dr Outhwaite in a nutshell: doctor, legend, genius.

Written by a patient at The Manor Hospital, Oxford
25th February 2019

After years and years of struggling with doctors and consultants and suffering from debilitating back pain and shoulder pain I met Dr Outhwaite at Oxford . He immediately diagnosed the problems with my back and shoulders and I have seen him regularly over the last 10 years. A truly wonderful person and doctor who had compassion mixed with common sense and the ability to provide solutions which other professionals failed to provide. I would recommend him to anyone who has chronic undiagnosed pain. You will not be disappointed.

Written by a patient at London Orthopaedic Clinic
4th April 2018

Truly one of a kind! Actually listened to my issues and took a step back to assess what the combined problem could be rather than treat them individually! Incredibly clever doctor who has changed my life. Thank you!

Written by a patient at London Orthopaedic Clinic
19th January 2018

I asked for a second opinion after seeing this consultant. He did not listen, wrote a letter which was full of factual inaccuracies and I had little confidence in his approach. Was told I was the kind of patient doctors wanted to work with as I actually wanted to get better. Found this a rather shocking approach!

Written by a patient at The Manor Hospital, Oxford
27th December 2015

This doctor completely turned my life around - I had been to many consultants/GPs over 10 years and not one diagnosed me until Dr Outhwaite. His knowledge of my medical condition is amazing and makes me feel at ease when he says everything is ok because he clearly knows what he's doing. My meds are effective and specific. Really brilliant man.

• Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery