Dr Gordon Cook

Written by a patient at St James's University Hospital
11th March 2017

I was under the care of Professor Gordon Cook in 2007 (then Dr Cook); he met me and my family (my brother was my transplant donor), and explained the transplant options to me in a sympathetic, but straightforward way; he was unafraid to answer my question about my chances of survival, and I was grateful for his honesty. I was treated without delay, receiving my radiotherapy at the now-closed Cookridge Hospital, and receiving my transplant in the Bone Marrow Transplant unit at St James' Hospital (the relatively recently built Bexley Wing at St James' deals with all aspects of treatment these days). Nearly nine and a half years, I'm still here, and that is largely due to the expertise of Professor Cook, and his team. I'm sure he will have lengthened, and saved the lives of many many others!

Written by a patient at St James's University Hospital
31st December 2015

The myeloma clinic each Wednesday is always busy with long waiting times. But What you wait a little time for is to see what undoubtedly is Europes finest myeloma specialist clinic. If you are lucky enough to see prof cook, then he has time, is thorough, has compassion and explains everything. The only negative is that his explanations can be a little too scientific, but ask him to translate into English and no prob. I trust prof cooks advice and opinion fully.

Written by a carer at St James's University Hospital
16th July 2008

Dr Cook is honest, open, and gives information clearly and freely. He is able to have a discussion on any aspect of the impact of the patient's condition. He is almost entirely free of the parental manner of many doctors, treating patients and carers as equals - rational adults.

• Haematology