The Royal Marsden Hospital (Sutton)

Downs Road, Sutton, Surrey, England, SM2 5PT

1 2 3 4 5 24,558 reviews

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

Written by a NHS patient
16th July 2021

The consultants are excellent. And talk you through the whole process. But further down like pain management is horrendous. The nurses and HCA in the clinical assessment are amazing. The team in radiology department great. The pain team. Did not listen and sent me home with a request to just up the morphine, which doesn't work on neuropathic pain (nerves). When a different consultant from another hospital got involved, I had a sarcastic call from the senior nurse about not giving it enough time (I'd you haven't slept in a week and feel like someone is poking you with a cattle prong every single night I think time is kind of irrelevant). But she will get the pain team to call back. When the pain nurse called back. I was ignored for the request of changing my pain medication to a nerve pain blocker. As per my request from the consultant from the other hospital. So thank you Marsden for leaving me in agony for a further 48 hours, till when you phone on Monday when I haven't slept for a week due to the intense pain that I have been suffering. And you have added a further 2 nights of no sleep. Whilst I appreciate that you are trained. It would be an idea to listen to the patients. Rather than wash over it.

Safe
2nd July 2021

Staff have been polite, caring and I couldn’t have asked for more

N/a (apart from pay NHS staff better)

24th June 2021

Lovely, caring, helpful staff

Safe
Review of Outpatients Department Sutton,
10th June 2021

From the moment that I enquired about treatment here, I was deeply impressed. Staff called me promptly, were extremely polite and I felt valued. Whilst I have received quality care in general at my current hospital, I have often felt like a number. In addition, as is usual in the UK, contacting the doctor's secretary is a very hit and miss affair and getting a callback is a miracle. Not the case at the Royal Marsden in Sutton - communication was polite, clear, helpful, accurate and delivered kindly. Even before COVID, the NHS was going through so much and I tried to bear this in mind and be a "patient patient". A helpful registration pack arrived quickly in the mail, and from the moment when I arrived at the entrance, I was blown away by the focus on patient care. All staff were helpful and made me feel welcome, and upon arriving at Outpatients Reception all paperwork was in order and I was quickly taken to the appropriate room for my consultation. I was initially seen by a registrar, and a nurse-practitioner in training. They, once again, made me feel very welcome whilst they took my case history and did the required tests. The consultant then came in with a more senior nurse-practitioner, and the consultant had already had an extensive discussion with my current one so did not need to ask all the same questions again. I appreciated his background research on my case. I had volunteered for a trial, and was quite astounded that my current consultant (who is a renowned expert in my condition, and works at the "top" hospital for my condition in the UK), had not heard about this. I had to do all the research myself regarding this trial. The consultant athe Royal Marsden advised me that subject to a thorough physical examination in a couple of weeks, I would be an ideal candidate for the trial. After this, the specialist nurse practitioner had an extensive discussion with me to assess my holistic needs. This related to support for other things going in my life, which included referrals to other departments and services like complementary treatments. At her prompting, our conversation went into quite some depth and her compassion and empathy left a deep impact on me. I was given a thick information pack to take home, detailing the services that she would refer me to, and the contact details of her and her colleagues who would me my primary contacts for different areas. This hospital is not located close to my home, but my trip to the Royal Marsden Hospital in Sutton was well worth it. I felt entire confidence with every aspect of the care shown to me so far. An outstanding hospital, with incredibly dedicated staff!!!

I cannot think of anything at present. Your hospital sets an example that all hospitals should aspire to.

8th June 2021

Staff always checked I was comfortable and when I was in pain said they would pass this onto to my doctor

They were brilliant and everything was perfect

8th June 2021

The side effects from the treatment made me feel worse than I have ever felt in the last 70 years. Without the support of the radiotherapists, dieticians, speech therapist, physiotherapist and dietician it would have been unbearable.

My particular radiotherapy bathed an area of my head and damaged the performance of my salivary glands and taste buds. My mouth filled with ulcers and blisters and eating and speech became difficult. The support I was given made it bearable but I feel that there must be a technology that could avoid these problems. As the world's leader in cancer research and treatment I would hope that the Royal Marsden would be involved in developing a tool that could be used without such severe side effects.

Review of Rapid Diagnostic and Assessment Centre Sutton,
26th May 2021

I found the diagnostic clinic very professional and friendly. My questions and anxieties were answered. Thank you to your team .

Female Volunteer at front entrance was brusque and instructed me to remove my own mask and wear one provided . Her manner was not welcoming to someone who was anxious and apprehensive about visiting the clinic.

Review of Admission and Pre-assessment Unit Sutton,
16th May 2021

Very professional nursing staff

Nothing that I can think of

Review of Kennaway Ward,
16th May 2021

I had to walk from the ward to the operating room at the other end of the hospital through corridors that are used by the public and therefore not that clean. I would suggest providing some slippers to patients so that the socks don't get that dirt which you'll inevitably leave in your bed.

I was under the impression that I would be getting lunch as I stayed in the hospital until the afternoon. The nurse brought some pre-made sandwiches and a coffee, which helped a bit though. I definitely had to go for a big dinner after leaving the hospital considering I haven't eaten since 12am the night before for the procedure.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
{{category}} working at The Royal Marsden Hospital (Sutton) ({{entities.length}})

Short link to review The Royal Marsden Hospital (Sutton): http://iwgc.net/eb6aw