royal-lancaster-infirmary
1 2 3 4 5 47,462 reviews Write a review

Royal Lancaster Infirmary

Ashton Road, Lancaster, England, LA1 4RP

14th February 2018

To be honest with all the recent poor national press about A&E I was expecting a long wait and poor morale when I visited your A&E with a broken arm that need to be manipulated and set -what I received could not have been further away from this.The team were efficient, professional and kind and did everything possible to ensure the procedure was painfree and I was comfortable- which I was. My grateful thanks to Dr. Ray McGloyne and Lyndsey Latham and the team who delivered a brilliant service and also to the night team who helped with my pain management prior to the procedure taking place.

5th February 2018

I am a wheelchair user and I had just had staples in the back of my head. At the end of my visit I used the disabled toilet in the entrance area of A&E. I locked the door and then fell out of my wheelchair whilst trying to stand up and ended up on the floor. I shouted for help but no one came. I looked for an emergency pull cord but there wasn't one. I did spot a help button on the wall but it was waist height and in the corner behind the toilet so I was unable to reach it. Eventually my wife called at the door to see if I was OK. I told her I was on the floor and couldn't get up. She went to the reception desk to ask if they could open the door. They didn't have anything to use to open the door. It looked like it would unlock with a coin and a passing paramedic found a coin and tried to turn the lock. He was able to turn it part way but not enough to unlock the door. He tried for several minutes and was struggling as the lock was quite worn. During this time I had to get onto my knees and make my way to the door and unlock it myself. When the door was opened there was a crowd of people outside trying to help, and I felt ashamed and awkward. I don't feel that this is acceptable, especially in a hospital. If I had knocked myself out no one would have been able to get to me at all. Please can this disabled toilet be sorted out so that this doesn't happen again.

1st February 2018

Seemed a thorough exam. Radiologist was willing to explain results afterwards. Waiting time a little long - 25 minutes. Generally satisfied

22nd January 2018

The care in the hospital was excellent

16th January 2018

The best staff on Ward 34 work hard and efficiently and are a credit to the NHS. Regretfully I also witnessed some rather sloppy practice. 1. I was not always given intravenous antibiotics on time. On one evening my antibiotics were several hours late and another morning, the nurse went off duty before administering the final set of three. I had to chase a different nurse up to administer the final drug. 2. Record keeping about when I was given pain killers was inaccurate at least once. I remember one nurse telling me this was the case! I decided to start keeping my own records about when treatments were administered because some staff seemed confused by my paperwork and quite often asked me when I'd last had a particular pain killer. I did not expect to have to be so proactive in my own treatment; one hands oneself over to the hospital and trusts staff to administer drugs efficiently. As time went on, I saw that I was going to have to be more aware of what I should be having and when. 3. One member of staff took four attempts to get blood from me. I appreciate this can be difficult, but another blood nurse said I had 'good veins' and no-one else took more than a single go. 4. Cleaning is obviously something that the RLI take seriously and it was good to see cleaning being done thoroughly on a daily basis. The only reason I have not given five stars above is that the toilets and showers were not always cleaned as scrupulously as they might have been. 5. Most of the patients in Ward 34 at the time required urine bottles to relive themselves. These were not always taken away terribly quickly. I found it very difficult to eat my breakfast one morning because I found the smell of urine from a neighbouring patient's bottle pretty overpowering. The tea lady openly commented to a member of staff that other staff had not got the patients ready for breakfast i.e. sat up. I was surprised to see some (junior) hospital staff seemingly unaware of things that needed to be done. It seems awful to make such disparaging comments about an organisation that has just saved your life. I am extremely grateful for what ALL the staff on Ward 34 did for me and my average star rating to the questions above clearly indicates a level of satisfaction. Nevertheless, it wasn't perfect.I do not wish to complain for the sake of doing so; I simply hope my observations will help to improve things for patents in future. I do not wish to complain for the sake of doing so; I simply hope my observations will help to improve things for patents in future.