Newham University Hospital
Review of Silvertown Ward - NUH, written by a patient
28th April 2020
I am filling this form in after 5 months from my stay here. I would have done it sooner but quite frankly I have PTSD over what has happened whilst I was in silver town ward.
I was admitted into ICU with Sepsis and transferred into Silvertown ward after. I experienced the following:
- I was vomiting up bile and stomach acid, and this was never cleaned up. I requested several times for the floors to be clean as it had been days that my vomit had been lying there and my requests had fallen on deaf ears.
- I had an NG tube fitted into my nose, as I was unable to eat or drink. No fluids or food was given through the tube for 5 full days. I was left to starve. Each time the doctor had said there was a miscommunication with the nurses and I would definitely be fed that day, however I never was. After 5 days my daughter called and complained, only then was I given my first feed. I starved for 5 days.
- an antibiotic dose (Amikacin) was “forgotten”. I was told that there was supplier issues which is why they did not administer the antibiotic through IV. This is unacceptable as my white cell count was so low that I depended on antibiotics. The doctor apologised for this error.
- the day nurse gave me some tablets I did not recognise during the day. I told her I did not recognise these medicines and so she redone my morning medicine and found that she gave me incorrect medicine the first time round. I shudder to think what could have happened if I swallowed the first set of drugs.
- I have a PICC line fitted in which needs to be redressed once a week, of course this was not done despite my requests. This left me vulnerable to further infection.
- I was in left In pain for 8 hours In total. I asked the nurse for morphine and she left without coming back. Later when my daughter inquired about why I wasn’t given morphine the head nurse said she lost my drug chart. Soon after it was miraculously found.
The list could go on forever but it really upsets me thinking about my stay here. I get horrible flashbacks that keep me up at night. I wouldn’t wish the treatment I had on anyone. Please don’t stay here if you can help it.