Mr B Roy Chaudhary

Mr Chaudhary is currently a full time substantive consultant in the Oxford Spinal Unit at the John Radcliffe Hospital and Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre. His clinic work covers the spectrum of adult spinal pathology including intradural conditions with specific research interest in cervical spine surgery including myelopathy and spinal cord injury, minimally invasive (keyhole) spine surgery and day case surgery. During his 21 years of medical training, Mr Chaudhary was affiliated with and trained in many of the top universities including Oxford University, Cambridge University, Imperial College and University of Toronto. His Neurosurgical Spinal Registrar/Residency programme was undertaken at Addenbrookes Hospital (Cambridge University Hospital NHS FoundationTrust) where he was also the Chief Resident for Neurosciences. Prior to his consultant appointment, he undertook a complex combined Neurosurgical and Orthopaedic Spinal Fellowship with Professor M. Fehlings, Dr S. Lewis and Dr R. Rampersaud in a AOSpine North American accredited programme at the Toronto Western Hospital, Canada. Mr Chaudhary has now sub-specialised purely in the treatment of spinal conditions including disc prolapse, spinal stenosis, cervical myelopathy, spinal cord tumours with minimally invasive (keyhole) techniques for decompression, discectomy, spinal fusion etc. This follows his many years of research, training and peer-reviewed international presentations and publications focused on spinal surgery. Additional research and educational interests include the application of technology in Surgery and Medical Education. He has completed his Masters in Surgical Technology at Imperial College, London. Mr Chaudhary has won national prizes as well as a number of prestigious awards, gold medals and fellowships including the Harry Morton Fellowship from the Royal College of Surgeons of England and the British Association of Spine Surgeons President's Fellowship Award. Awards and prizes •BASS/BSS Presidents Fellowship award - 2015 •Royal College of Surgeons of England Harry Morton Research Fellowship award - 2014 •Codman Neurosurgical Travelling Fellowship - 2014 •UK HCA Foundation International Travelling Fellowship award - 2013 •EOE Deanery bursary awarded for the study of Masters in Medical Education - 2012 •EOE Deanery bursary awarded for PG Certificate in Medical Education - 2011 •1st Prize, Presentation (poster), Society of British NeuroSurgeons - Nottingham, 2008 •Pfizer Medallion in Medicine and Scroll of Honour - MBBS •Vijay Narayan Singh Memorial Gold Medal award, 1st place overall - MBBS •Krishna Kant Singh Gold Medal, 1st place in final year - MBBS Contact details Tel: +442031290934 email: private.secretary@spinesirgery.com Twitter: @spinalsirgery

• Neurosurgery

26th November 2016
Written by a patient at The Manor Hospital, Oxford

Dr.Bedanish Roy Chaudhary is a really great listener and that is what makes him really special. He took time to explain my MRI scan in every single detail, he answered every single question that I asked . I would recommend this doctor 100%.

22nd November 2016
Written by a carer at The John Radcliffe

When we arrived for my daughter's surgery, we were extremely apprehensive. During the months of symptoms and distress she had been experiencing we had become increasingly disillusioned about the seeming lack of interest and care she had been shown after seeking help on many occasions from practitioners in our home town. Because of this, our expectations were low when we arrived in Oxford Within a very short time of meeting Mr Chaudhary and some his team, that changed. Mr Chaudhary was extremely personable, explained my daughter's condition and the planned procedure, spoke to us both in plain language and willingly answered questions. Whilst pointing out the risks as well as the benefits of surgery for my daughter, he also offered reassurance and displayed confidence in the abilities of himself and the team to deliver a good, safe outcome from the procedure. The combination of his clear knowledge and expertise and his very personal and caring approach relieved many of our fears. For the first time since my daughter's symptoms began we both felt like she was receiving care as an individual and was in safe hands. These comments also apply to all members of his team that we came into contact with. Mr Chaudary's explanation that if the surgery took a bit longer than expected, it did not indicate a problem was also very reassuring as I was waiting for my daughter to return after surgery. As promised he phoned me when she was taken to recovery to let me know it was over and that the surgery had gone to plan without complications. The whole experience was made so much better by Mr Chaudhary and his colleagues' kind and helpful approach and we are very grateful for both their clinical skills and their human touch.

17th November 2016
Written by a patient at The Manor Hospital, Oxford

Mr Chaudhary spent time explaining my condition, the primary aim of treatment, details of the procedure, risks and the likely outcome. This was hugely reassuring given the severity of the condition and the speed with which it was dealt. He was also available post-operatively and in the weeks following surgery for any questions I had during recovery which helped manage my own expectations of the healing process. Mr Chaudhary has my very great thanks and respect.

7th November 2016
Written by a patient at The Manor Hospital, Oxford

From the first moment my husband and I met Mr Chaudhary, we were overwhelmed by his professionalism and knowledge. I was diagnosed with nerve root compression L5/S1. Mr Chaudhary suggested he carry out keyhole discectomy to remove the protruding part of the disc. Mr Chaudhary's bedside manner is second to none. Just hours after my operation Mr Chaudhary came to my bed side and he personally assisted me out bed and walked with me. Mr Chaudhary also has a very strong and loyal team around him, which helps relax and support the patient. I found the complete experience throughout Mr Chaudhary and his team very professional, relaxing, secure and the feedback once I reached the ward by the team was exceptional.

2nd October 2016
Written by a patient at The John Radcliffe

I arrived at the John Radcliffe Trauma Unit on Thursday evening a week after a fall from my horse. I spent the week in a general hospital awaiting a diagnosis and plan; given that I had an unstable fracture of my spine this was a very difficult time for me. I felt vulnerable and at risk of further injury. From the minute I was referred to the John Radcliffe I was treated with absolute professionalism, care and respect. Before I arrived my case had been discussed by the Trauma team and treatment options decided. When I arrived each person I met introduced themselves and took the time to explain their role in my care and recovery. Dr Chaudhary went in to considerable detail about my operation and answered all the questions I had with care and attention to detail. I had every confidence that he and his team had my best interests at heart. I was in surgery on Friday morning and by Saturday evening I was discharged. His keyhole surgery technique has meant that my speedy recovery seems to be assured. I cannot thank him enough. The contrast between all the staff at the John Radcliffe - the health care team, the nurses, the anaesthetists, the surgeons and the physiotherapists and those at the other hospital was night and day. It was a pleasure to experience such high standards of professionalism, care and support. Thank you

Nearest Neurosurgeons