Mr Adam Howard

Mr Howard's clinical interests are: - Varicose vein treatments (minimally invasive endovenous laser, VNUS radiofrequency and foam sclerotherapy together with traditional surgery), - Keyhole surgery for herniae and gallstones, - Treatments for excessive armpit sweating (Botox & ETS), - General surgery (including open hernia repair, in growing toe nails, lumps and bumps surgery), - Aortic aneurysm repair (laparoscopic, open and stent grafting), - Arterial bypass surgery, - Diabetic foot surgery, l - Leg ulcers and lymphoedema. Mr Adam Howard acquired his MBBS and BSc at the London Hospital Medical College in 1994 and later graduated as Doctor of Medicine, Imperial College in 2005 studying ‘The prevention of deep vein thrombosis in surgical patients’. His surgical training was mainly in major London centres under Professor Thompson (St Georges Vascular Unit), Professor Greenhalgh (Charing Cross Hospital) and Professor Lumley (Royal London Hospital). Mr Howard has been a consultant surgeon at Colchester (and Honorary Consultant at St. Georges Hospital, London) since 2007 and during this time has set up a nationally recognised Laparoscopic Aneurysm Surgery Programme, Endovenous radiofrequency varicose veins service, Fast track carotid surgery service, VTE (Venous Thromboembolism) Prevention programme and a Multidisciplinary diabetic foot vascular clinic. Mr Howard is the Clinical Lead for the Regional Colchester and Ipswich Five Rivers Vascular Unit and Senior Lecturer in Minimally Invasive Surgery and Robotics at Anglia Ruskin University, Chelmsford and Cambridge He is a laparoscopic vascular surgeon who specialises in laparoscopic and stentgraft aortic aneurysm (EVAR) repair at Colchester General Hospital, a renowned laparoscopic minimally invasive surgery and training centre. Mr Howard performed the world’s first total laparoscopic repair of cyclists’ pelvic arteries and leaking aneurysm stentgrafts (Type One Endoleak repair). He also pioneered robot assisted laparoscopic surgery for elite cyclists. His other main interests are in the prevention of VTE and patient safety in hospitalised patients. Mr Howard and his colleagues have developed a new online VTE risk assessment programme for all admissions that was awarded the NHS Innovations Award 2010 for Patient Safety. In 2014, Mr Howard developed an infection control electronic iPad tool to use in hospitals that was shortlisted for the National NHS Challenges Innovation Awards Dragon's Den. In addition to vascular surgery, Mr Howard regularly performs general laparoscopic surgery for all types of abdominal herniae and sympathectomy for hand/axillae sweating.

• Vascular and Transplant Surgery

6th September 2016
Written by a patient at Oaks Hospital

I was very impressed from the moment I walked through the door for my very first appointment with Doctor Howard at the oaks hospital regards my right arm lipoma. During examination I felt very relaxed listening and watching the way he carried out his investigation with great patience and tremendous confidence. I returned to the hospital a few weeks later and had the operation carried out by Mr Howard who again assured me that their was no cause for concern as regards my lipoma. I wish to highly recommend future patients my experience with Mr Howard in the way he organised the procedure from start to finish with tremendous confidence which most patients are looking for this makes both parties feel assured.

19th April 2016
Written by a patient at Oaks Hospital

I consulted Mr Howard for Biliary Colic and removal of my gall bladder. Mr Howard was vey reassuring, patient and professional. He explained all about the operation and the possible side effects which allowed me to make a valued judgement. He answered all my questions and at no point during the consultation did I feel rushed. I was booked in as soon as possible and Mr Howard saw me on the morning of the operation. Once again he went though the operation and it was fully and clearly explained. I was visited after the operation to tell me how it had gone and if I had any problems. On mentioning that I was in pain he wrote me up for painkillers. I was called back for a further consultation five weeks after my operation. I felt very well looked after and if I had had a problem that I could have contacted the hospital for advice. I have made a complete recovery and I put this down to the very clear instructions that I was given both before and after my operation. I was extremely pleased to have Mr Howard as my consultant and surgeon and felt completely reassured and safe.

6th October 2015
Written by a patient at Oaks Hospital

Mr Howard was my consultant for the removal of my gallbladder (laparoscopic cholecystectomy). From the initial consultation through to the operation itself and then my final consultation post op, Mr Howard conversations with me were clear and easy to understand. He didn't make you feel 'stupid' and listened very carefully to what I had to say. He has a very caring and professional manner which puts you at ease which also makes you trust his advice and judgement. The care I received at the Oaks Hospital by both Mr Howard and his team was excellent. A shining example of NHS care and service. Many thanks.

29th June 2015
Written by a patient at Oaks Hospital

Mr Howard explained fully to me before my operation all the risks involved, which made me a little nervous. After listening to him for sometime my confidence grew and I agreed to go ahead with the operation. Before my surgery he came to see me, he reassured me and hoped all would go well for me. This was nice. My operation went very well and I was back to normal self within a week. I would highly recommend Mr Howard to anyone, my thanks to him for a good job.

26th June 2015
Written by a patient at Oaks Hospital

Mr Howard performed surgery on me for a herniae, he explained in detail what was to happen and the result is fantastic. Mr Howard is very careing, easy to talk to, and a master of his trade . If one needs to be treated then you are in safe hands with MR Howard. I cannot thank him enough,

Nearest Vascular and transplant surgeons