Dr Philip Hammond

I trained as a GP and worked as one for 20 years before retraining as an associate specialist in the young people's specialist Chronic Fatigue/ME service at the Royal National Hospital for Rheumatic Diseases NHS Fountation trust in Bath (the Mineral Hopsital). We work as a team of doctors, psychologists, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, support staff and managers under the leadership of Dr Esther Crawley. I also work as a health writer for Reveal magazine, the Times and the Daily Telegraph, an investigative journalist on health matters for Private Eye magazine, under the pseudonym MD, a broadcaster for BBC Radio Bristol and an occasional TV presenter (e.g. Long Live Britain, BBC1, Countdown Channel 4) . I also work as stand up comedian (but always protect patient confidentiality). I am a longstanding campaigner for compassion, safety and transparency in the NHS, a Vice President of the Patients’ Association and a patron of Meningitis UK, the Doctors’ Support Network, the Herpes Viruses Association, Patients First and Kissing It Better. Details of my work outside medicine are available at www.drphilhammond.com

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

6th June 2014

I took my daughter to see Dr Hammond this morning, what a nice chap! He understood the reason for our visit and gave us the time we needed and didn't try to rush us. We felt totally confident that Dr Hammond was the right person to see about my daughters condition and felt the appointment had been a very positive experience. Would definitely recommend.

2nd June 2014

We saw Dr Hammond last week in Bath following an extremely worrying time with our daughter. Dr Hammond diagnosed our daughter with having CFS/ ME . During the one and a half hour appointment, Dr Hammond explained the illness and its symptoms, understood our concerns over the severity of headaches, nausea, fatigue and host of other symptoms it presents and listened to my daughters concerns over not being able to attend school and the psychological effects of missing out on vital social interactions with her friends. We all found Dr Hammond to be approachable, compassionate and supportive. He had read the Doctors notes beforehand, and during a ten minute break asked to see my diary ( which I had kept so that I could remember symptoms, significant dates etc. which he did read) . His caring but professional manner meant that he was able to give realistic advice based on what my daughter wanted and how this could be achieved by taking the necessary steps. He encouraged her to contact friends, so that she did not feel as though she was missing out on her teenage years, agreed a bank of time with her during the day for her Red Time activities and said he would write to the school about her immediate educational needs. He certainly didn't mind my daughters inability to stop yawning and lack of concentration at times! We came away with lots of vital information which made my daughter feel more empowered and the whole family felt we were now going to be supported through this difficult period. An excellent re-assuring consultation, so many thanks Dr Hammond ! My only wish is that I had not had to do the hard work myself in researching the clinic and going back to the doctor to specifically ask for this referral (I was originally referred to general paediatrician all of whom had a sixteen week waiting list , which is far too long when a child has been absent from school for a whole term and is in such pain at times). Had I taken that route I would still be waiting.

13th May 2014

I was present during a consultation that Dr Philip Hammond conducted relating to my teenage daughter who has been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. At all times during the consultation Dr Hammond ensured that my daughter understood what was being discussed even though it is a very complicated subject. This was further enhanced by the use of simple diagrams to highlight the effects of the syndrome and its implications. Dr Hammond was very effective in explaining how the condition can be managed and that it is possible to lead a close to normal life. It was also apparent that Dr Hammond had taken the time read the relevant notes on my daughter prior to our arrival.

5th May 2014

I found Dr Hammond very welcoming and easy to understand . The appointment was conducted in a very relaxed and an informative way . He was understanding and took time to listen to what our concerns were. We felt at ease all through the appointment, he made sure throughout that we understood what is a very complex subject and it's implications . As a family I felt Dr Hamond made our daughter feel very relaxed and upon diagnosing her condition she was able to accept and understand what it means to her as well as giving her lots of information ie support as well as very promptly contacting her school to set help in place any further support she made need. It's very rare you meet a Doctor that genuinely seems to show compassion in what they do Dr Hammond was very prepared and had obviously read up on my daughters notes which I find very important both for the patient and family concerned. I would truly recommend Dr Hammond he is very professional and compassionate at the same time

27th April 2014

My daugher aged 16 has recently been diagnosed with CFS. We were referred to Dr Hammond and the appointment was offered very quickly. Our appointment was for about one and a half hours. During the time Dr Hammond was excellent at explaining the treatment for CFS and spent a great deal of time making sure we understood everything he was telling us. As GCSE's are looming Dr Hammond suggested that my daughter drop one or two subjects to relieve some of the pressure and will write to her school to explain to them how important it is for her to drop subjects and how they can support her in other ways. We felt that Dr Hammond listened to everything we told him, particularly around family issues which were contributing to my daughters stress levels. On the whole we felt very confident that Dr Hammond will offer a great service of care.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 »