Dr Philip Hammond

I trained as a GP and worked as one for 20 years before retraining as an associate specialist in the young people's specialist Chronic Fatigue/ME service at the Royal National Hospital for Rheumatic Diseases NHS Fountation trust in Bath (the Mineral Hopsital). We work as a team of doctors, psychologists, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, support staff and managers under the leadership of Dr Esther Crawley. I also work as a health writer for Reveal magazine, the Times and the Daily Telegraph, an investigative journalist on health matters for Private Eye magazine, under the pseudonym MD, a broadcaster for BBC Radio Bristol and an occasional TV presenter (e.g. Long Live Britain, BBC1, Countdown Channel 4) . I also work as stand up comedian (but always protect patient confidentiality). I am a longstanding campaigner for compassion, safety and transparency in the NHS, a Vice President of the Patients’ Association and a patron of Meningitis UK, the Doctors’ Support Network, the Herpes Viruses Association, Patients First and Kissing It Better. Details of my work outside medicine are available at www.drphilhammond.com

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

27th November 2016

Our initial consultation with Dr Hammond was for my son who is suffering from ME/CFS. We had an amazing 90 minute session where Dr Hammond made use feel relaxed, confident and reassured. My son came out of the room feeling elated that he was heard, well respected and understood, also that there are solutions and he will be supported in his recovery. Dr Hammond has a great manner and explained everything clearly and was fun. As a parent this support is priceless as my daughter had the same condition 10 years ago and there was no awareness of the condition and although we managed it is great that so this time around we are very positive and will be guided. Thank you! Mrs Limberg-Birks

14th November 2016

I took my daughter to see Dr Hammond this morning, he was very helpful, understanding, knowledgeable and most of all seemed to relate very well to my 13 year old. We left the appointment with a much better understanding of the condition and a positive outlook. Dr Hammond was brilliant.

14th November 2016

Very helpful, knowledgeable, practical and informative consultation, with my 13 year old daughter who has CFS. Left having a much greater understanding of her condition and how to manage in steady steps. Highly recommend Dr Hammond.

13th July 2015

I truly have never met a nicer, kinder, more caring and compassionate doctor than Dr Hammond. He is exactly how every doctor should be. Our daughter was referred to him as possibly suffering with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and he was the best person we could have seen. I thank my lucky stars I was able to refer her to the Bath hospital, as our local services are completely inadequate in this area. He explained the condition to our daughter simply, honestly and with humour. He totally understood that school was a huge area of stress for her presently, and emphasised the importance of fun in life as well as academic achievement. Together we drew up a plan for the way forward, and she is feeling brighter and more positive than she has for months. I honestly have nothing but praise for this wonderful, amazing doctor.

9th June 2014

Dr. Hammond was extremely helpful in developing my understanding. Also he was very considerate of me and my circumstances. He wanted to make sure I was happy as a person, which means a lot for a doctor to care about your mental, social, and physical well being as well as illness.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 »