westmorland-general-hospital
1 2 3 4 5 20,849 reviews Write a review

Westmorland General Hospital

Burton Road, Kendal, Cumbria, England, LA9 7RG

24th April 2017
Written by a family member

Mr Marshall was exceptionally thorough and listened very carefully to everything my son said. It was very reassuring.

18th April 2017

During diagnostic tests at Lancaster Royal Infirmary (that confirmed a kidney cancer), indications were found in my bladder that required further internal inspections over a period. The first inspection was carried out at Westmorland General in the Endoscopy department there. The nurses who performed the inspection were especially pleasant and reassuring in their dealings with me. They carried out the test with care and discussed the findings in detail. A follow up test was required which I requested should be also done at the Westmorland since my experience had been good on the previous occasion. The surroundings and atmosphere at the hospital were very relaxing and the staff were caring - perhaps partly as the hospital is relatively small and friendly in pleasant surrounding countryside.

13th April 2017

After what should have been a day case, I ended up being transferred onto Ward 7 for an overnight stay, and to say I was an unexpected patient, the care I was shown was absolutely second to non. Special mentions and great thanks to Kyle and Julie on the nights, and also Pam on the day shift.

13th April 2017

The care I received while on the day surgery unit was absolutely second to non, the staff and nurses were so kind and caring, and did their utmost to put me at ease as I was nervous, and listened to me and talked to me just like friends would talk to each other. One area that does need improvement though, is the issue with the patient list being swapped around, which I understand is under the control of the consultant, however it does seem to put the nursing staff on the ward under undue pressure....and I understand this has been a long standing issue. I was due to be 2nd on the list, so should have been in theatre for about 13:30 to 14:00 PM, however this changed when i was told the consultant decided to change the lists around and wanted to operate on the major cases (which were overnight stays) first, which then put me 4th on the list, meaning a longer wait for an already anxious patient and also disorganising the nurses plans I was expecting to go down to theatre after the guy in the bed next to me, as he was supposedly 1st on the list, now being 3rd on the list after the changes.....but I was called to go down 3rd, which I wasn't even ready for, nor were the nurses on the ward....even the guy in the next bed had been ready in his gown for hours waiting. This issue was also compounded by the fact that I had to stay overnight due to a couple of unexpected issues, meaning I had to be transferred to ward which wasn't expecting me, or staffed to cope with the unexpected patient....even though the care I received was again, absolutely second to none.

12th April 2017

First class in every respect