St George's Hospital

Blackshaw Road, London, England, SW17 0QT

13th July 2018

It would be difficult to improve on the surgery and care i received, this was my first operation and i was petrified due to the nature of my back surgery. The care i received was of the highest standard.

13th June 2018

Great care offered by the whole team, they have been caring considerate and patient with me whilst trying to get to the bottom of what felt like challenging symptoms. They got a diagnosis, gave me the right treatment and sorted me out. Im incredibly gratful to all the NHS staff here who helped me so well in my time of need.

6th June 2018

The staff on McKissock Ward, Atkinson Morley Unit, together with Theatre/Recovery staff I cannot fault. They all worked so very hard. Treated me with respect, kindness and dignity throughout. Thank you all so very much.

6th June 2018

I was seen by a foreign ENT consultant who thought it appropriate to ask me where I was from. I informed her I was a British citizen and turned the conversation to my health, which is the reason I was there. Imagine my surprise when I got a copy of her letter to my GP in which she describes me as “a long term resident of the UK”. I don't think I have ever been described as a long-term resident in my own country!

2nd June 2018

Consultant obsessed with my ethnicity As a Brit with an accent, I am no stranger to xenophobia in the NHS in respect of perceived ethnicity. I was seen by a foreign NHS ENT consultant who had the nerve to ask me where I was from. Imagine the outrage if I had asked her where she was from. I informed her I was a British citizen and turned the conversation to my health, which is the reason I was there. Imagine my surprise when I got a copy of her letter to my GP in which she describes me as “a long term resident of the UK”. I have never been described as a long-term resident in my own country! Not only that, but she had painstakingly trawled through (incorrect) data held about me by the hospital (thanks to her xenophobic colleagues who previously made assumptions about where they decided I must be from) and used that information to state the country she assumed I must be from. The irony is that I am from Britain. The NHS would do well to put consultants through diversity training or ethic sensitivity training. I am deeply offended by her describing me as a “resident” in correspondence copied to others; she has undermined my care because her ignorant misconceptions will prejudice others against me. People can have accents for many reasons, eg being educated abroad or spending substantial time abroad on work contracts. It is not up to NHS Consultants to try and determine the nationality or ethnicity of patients; it is irrelevant and is none of their business. I have decided not to go to my next appointment as I will not be able to contain myself. If only she was as interested in diagnosing my medical condition as she was in “diagnosing” my ethnicity and nationality.

{{category}} working at St George's Hospital ({{entities.length}})

Short link to review St George's Hospital: http://iwgc.net/eb4z4