Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital

Brockley Hill, Stanmore, Middlesex, England, HA7 4LP

1st December 2017

I have received excellent treatment here - thank you very much.

31st March 2017

I had joint fusion surgery on my big toe done at this hospital. Immediately after the op you are meant to be pain free but this was not the case and I was in too much pain afterwards. The staff on the ward complained that they should not have released me to the ward until the pain relief had been adequately administered. I kept asking for more pain relief and they said they would have to call a doctor to prescribe more pain killers. There was only one doctor so this would involve a wait. I was passing out with the pain and they thought they may have to call for the crash team. My bed was moved to be near the nurses station and I ended up having to stay in that night. I was still not out of the woods as that night I experienced the 'care' of 'a nurse from hell'. I wondered whether she was miffed because I was due to be discharged in the day and I presented her with extra work that night. I needed the toilet at 2am and she placed the toilet on wheels far from the bed and offered me no help to reach it. She presented with such a bad attitude and total lack of any kind of care or kindness.I managed to get back on my bed and lay down and she plonked the bedding in a pile on my bed and told me to sort it out myself. I felt really alone and scared and had no one else to help me. I filled in a feedback form the next day mentioning my experience with the nurse and hoping there may be some follow up but nothing happened. I continue to have difficulty with my foot and orthotics. There is no opportunity offered for the consultants or members of his team to work in situ with members of the orthotics team to facilitate the best outcome for patients. A consultant might make a suggestion for the orthotics department to act on but it is all very hit or miss as they work apart from each other. I have been offered further surgery on my toe as it is still limiting my mobility but after the experiences mentioned above I would be very reluctant to put myself in such a vulnerable position again knowing that the anaethetists and nursing care are not up to par and after surgery my toe is still not sorted out.

3rd August 2016

I have only been here as a patient of the shoulder service, but in my opinion if you are offered the chance to be treated here then you are very lucky indeed.

25th March 2016

I spent 2 weeks in the rehabilitation unit for intensive physio. The staff were very friendly and always willing to help any waye they could.

29th August 2014

Do not be fooled by the external appearance of this hospital. It is clear to me, having had a child being cared for here over the last two years, that all investment goes into the staff and technical facilities rather than making the place look nice! As a result, the level of care received, the knowledge in the specialist areas and the technical competence of the staff is without equal. I have no hesitation in recommending this hospital.