queen-alexandra-hospital
1 2 3 4 5 231,200 reviews Write a review

Queen Alexandra Hospital

Southwick Hill Road, Cosham, Portsmouth, England, PO6 3LY

4th December 2018

I was well impressed with my visit today. I was seen early which was brilliant and there was minimal wait between the different stages. The care at every stage ranged from excellent to outstanding. There was no queue at reception, the lady smiled and was cheerful, took my details and directed me to the seating area. I was there 10 mins max when I was taken through, Mphasa checked me in and did the basics, she was very thorough and calming which was good because like most people I was anxious about having a medical procedure. She then took me to the next waiting area where an assistant Anaesthetist came in and checked my details, he was followed by Dr Nick Campkin the Consultant Anaethetist/Surgeon who also checked my details, against my file and the booked procedure which he explained, checked if I had any questions and ensured I was comfortable with everything. Dr Campkin was also reassuring and calming and I felt I was in capable hands. I entered the operating area and was greeted by Chris the Radiographer who also made me feel at ease, this is so important. Then, Caroline the Theatre Nurse introduced herself and checked my details, that I was ready, that everyone knew what the procedure was and that they had all the equipment ready. All this checking & care gave me confidence that I was in very capable hands, this is important to the nervous patient. They talked me through the procedure as they went so there were no surprises, I didnt feel any pain and it was over very quickly and I was on my way to the recovery area. Here, Lou the Recovery Practitoner ensured I was comfortable and offered me a much needed drink & something to eat which was so welcome as I hadn't eaten anything since breakfast (as instructed) at 8 a.m and it was now 4p.m. I was offered tea or coffee and a choice of sandwiches or biscuit. This was now 5 star service, I had to remind myself that this was the NHS ! I chose tea and a Tuna sandwich, the tea was so welcome and the sandwich, tuna and cheese was sliced into triangles, making it easy to handle and eat. Fantastic. Lou kept checking that I was alright and then took my blood pressure etc. The Recovery Care was Outstanding. Having been treated Privately previously, I can honestly say that this was just as good. 10/10. I would like to thank all of the above named for treating me so well, for being so caring and calming. Not always easy when you are dealing with so many people every day. I was treated as though I was the only patient they'd seen all day when I'm sure I was one of many. Thank you all.

4th December 2018

When I arrived in accident and emergncy on a Sunday just before miday I expected that that there would be a wait but I was very happy with the efficent way my problem, a sad lack of memory, was delt with. There was a wait, "to be expectedon a Sunday" but the waiting area was clean and airey, there was a sad lack of literature which would have made the waiting more acceptable. The doctor explained what he considered had happened to me, "a minor head bleed" and I was admitted to F4 ward. From that moment on everything went smoothly: sleep, being seen by doctor in the morning when he said it seemed like a minor bleed and if all the scans and other visits for scans etc. proved accepatable I could go home that day . I finished the scan and a visit by the physotherapist, the last an MRI, at.4.15 when I returned to the ward when I expected to be discharged. I had phoned my Son in law to come and pick me up in about an hour. At 8pm we gave up the idea that I would be discharged as no-one could be found to sign my discharge papers,( I didn't have this problem when I left The Royal Marines after 25 years). The following morning I saw the doctor on the ward around 9am and he said I could go home and there we had a problem, I had to wait for paperwork and medication on the ward. To cut a very boreing morning and part afternoon short I left the hospital eventually at around 2.30pm. I thank you for the excellent service and treatment I received by all the many staff who had anthing to do with my stay I just think there is something wrong with a discharge system that took over five(5) hours to provide medicine.

4th December 2018

Better checking of correct patient details. I was telephoned the afternoon before my admission to say the operation may not go ahead as my blood test results could not be found , only to be phoned 2 hours later to say every thing Ok as they had got me mixed up with someone with the same surname .Different first name and DOB . On admission the same nurse made light of this when she said sorry , Ok fine but then gave me the incorrect wrist band which was discovered by the the nurse when she came to take me to theatre, My ward aftercare was extreemly good , all members of staff , caring and compasionate.Staff including the tea ladies and cleaners and nursing . The theatre staff and surgeons were more than excellent and I am very grateful to them, Constructive critism would be ( this is not a complaint ) More physio intervention , I had one 5 min chat with one who gave me a frame and walked me once across the room . The another who changed them for crutches and said he thought I could go home despite not having had any advice on stairs. The final day I had a lovely physio who helped me with the crutches and the stairs and gave me confidence, I would have found helpful in the first instance some advice on how best to get in and out of the bed .And perhaps some OT advice for home regarding a toilet frame or something. I found a great difference in the emphasis on hip replacement patience for physio and advice , knee replacement patients ( I had a complete knee and patella ) seemed an after thought . Pain control was OK though advised by surgeon if pain was extreme to ask for medication , however medication was only given at drug rounds and basically paracetamol nothing stronger until bedtime. The nurse who looked after me on the night of the operation i cannot praise enough , she gave me a drip as I had low blood pressure and reassured me throughout the night as I was a little disoriented . I am not complaining only raising points that may help other patients and when I return for my other knee operation I sincerely hope they thorough check identification as this could have been extremly dangerous for myself and the other patient plus caused extreme stress for myself and family . I would like to add it is very reasuring when the surgeons come and see you in the ward to check on progress. The theatre staff are wonderful and explain everything with care , I was not nervous and felt very safe in their hands , I had never had a spinal block before . Apart from the minor hiccups over identification the whole process from outpatients to surgery has been smooth.

4th December 2018

From coming into F7 a week ago till today the care has been excellent. The room on f5 was cleaned everyday and staff doing this was very friendly and asked before starting. I would recommend the hospital and the wards I have been in. Thank you to all staff.

3rd December 2018

Treated very well from signing in until leaving. The staff (under considerable) stress made sure i was ok and always explained what was happening. Nicky (or Nikki) in the team when you come out of the operating theatre was so calm and kind that it made me feel at ease. She is a credit to QA. The young portuguese nurse on D3 (i know the name but can't remember how it was spelt) only been here 2 months and was so cool, funny and gave the best care/treatment. Again a credit to QA and Portugal. I have never in my time had anything other than great service from the NHS. Thank you all concerned.

{{category}} working at Queen Alexandra Hospital ({{entities.length}})

Short link to review Queen Alexandra Hospital: http://iwgc.net/eb4rh