King's College Hospital

Denmark Hill, London, England, SE5 9RS

5th July 2017

My brother was a liver transplant patient at Kings, in fact he had 2 transplants before his death last year. We cannot fault the care he received on the liver intensive care unit, from the palliative care team, liver outpatients and Professor Michael Heneghan and Professor John O'Grady. However, Todd Ward was variable at best with some qualified staff members showing little or no empathy and very little clinical knowledge. Worryingly some of the healthcare assistants on the ward were far more helpful and caring. Some clinical care was also questionable with regard to the mismanagement of my brother's osteoporosis. Needless to say we will be formally complaining regarding this now that the inquest into his death is complete. We would like to see some evidence of learning from this mismanagement so that other patients are not affected in the same way as my brother.

21st April 2017

4 hours waiting for a 10am appointment in fracture clinic, not enough seats for all the patients in the crowded, dirty waiting room. Nothing for children (to entertain them while they wait). So I decided to go private at kings where the Consultant failed to show up to one meeting and surgery was cancelled at the last minute one day.

10th February 2017

I was seen in Neurology A&E via ambulance and all major illness etc. excluded via immediate tests. All staff were very patient and efficient and I was discharged the following day with more tests booked. These have been done with a final consultation by the excellent Mr Mahdi-Rogers, reviewed separately. His and my only concern was the long period between my last test and the final consulant review, for which he could not offer an explanation but for which he apologised.

7th January 2017

Excellent care received from Dr Benjamin Whitelaw. He is always extremely polite and always involves me in decision making. However, he always informs me about my condition and advises me on the best course of action.

17th September 2016

Attended a and e with classic brain tumour symptoms. The doctor i saw, Katherine Tully, claimed there was nothing wrong, no emergency and I should go home. I went to a different hospital and was found to have a brain tumour. On the note she sent my NHS GP, she got my age wrong by 12 years and claimed I had attended a and e for a "headache" - it doesn't even sound plausible.