doncaster-royal-infirmary

Info prepare birth

Privacy

Out of Hours
8th October 2019

The ante-natal clinic was fantastic! The midwifes were supportive and Lynne Long who does the bloods etc is an absolutely fantastic caring funny kind lady!! I had to have bloods done more than once and a GTT test and she was so supportive and considerate but cracked jokes to make you feel at ease! community midwife Alex Bulloch is an amazing midwife too,caring kind down to earth and easy to get on with. Never felt rushed in any appointments. She explained everything in detail and texted back asap at all times

5th October 2019

I have a long term eye problem and have been visiting Hallamshire hospital for many years, recently I had an appointment at the eye clinic at DRI and was very pleasantly suprised at the changes that had been made since my last visit. It was bright, clean, up-to-date, but most importantly I was impressed with how attentive the staff were and the atmosphere that they had created with in the clinic. I was approached by a staff member who imeadiatley put me at ease as she spoke to me directly, not passed me, or to my wife but me. As I cannot see very well most people do not attempt to speak to me directly. My wife goes on to tell me that as she spoke to me her body language was the same as if she was speaking to a sighted person. I was impressed with the Doctor in fact the whole experience. Very well done to all.

1st October 2019
Written by a family member

During my sisters stay on the respiratory ward (3 and a half weeks) she received fantastic care. As a young patient, with a severe brain injury, her contributions towards her care were zero. The nurses monitored her very closely and managed her pain well, kept her clean, brushed and styled her hair, applied cream to her and did everything for her that she would have done for herself at home. The staff were caring, understanding and always answered our questions to the best of their knowledge. She spent the entire time in the acute bay and there were some fantastic sisters looking after her; Marie, Jade, Jenny and Susan to name but a few. A wonderful health care assistant named Zoe was fab too, so caring and always looked after her perfectly. A peg nurse called Sarah also visited daily to check and clean her peg site and again was very caring, answering all questions that we had. Thank you so much to everyone on this team that helped not only my sister, but all of us at an incredibly difficult time in our lives. We will all be eternally grateful. Prior to this my sister spend approximately the same amount of time on critical care and again the staff up there were great, closely monitoring her and giving her everything that she needed to try help her recover. The nurses I remember who were particularly caring were Michael, Laura, Colin, Jade. Our only reservation about this ward was the way in which news was delivered by doctors, although I appreciate that this information needs to be concise, factual and of course shared, I do believe that it could have been done in a slightly more compassionate way. Especially considering my sisters age and personal circumstances. That aside though, everything else not only met but exceeded our expectations.

Pain Control
30th September 2019

The first part of treatment here by the doctors and nurses I saw was good however when I was moved to a single room which was nice the care went out of the window. The doctor came to see me at 9.30 and said to the nurse to give anti sickness medication and pain relief , he said the nurse would get that for me. I asked 3 times if I could have the anti sickness medication the doctor said I needed and still over 2 and half hours later I haven’t been given any medication! They are going to bring food in at 12.15 baring in mind I haven’t had my anti-sickness medication I am highly unlikely to eat anything. I feel as though I may as well be at home resting as I’m not getting the care I expect to get from the NHS . Although when I speak to the staff they are very polite and caring they still haven’t provided any medication to help with my recovery

Feeding baby

Encouragement feeding

Call bell
23rd September 2019

I would firstly like to say a massive thank you to Keely who works on the ward as she was very warm and welcoming and supportive. She really went the extra mile to help me throughout my time at the hospital when she was on shift. However, the rest of my experience after birth was not as nice. The cleanliness is a huge issue. I was left several times sitting in my own bodily fluids and when they were cleaned it was merely a cover up job rather than a clean. Blood was left all over the floor and sheets not changed in babies cot when requested after a toilet incident. I found most of the staff on the ward to be a little cold and not sympathetic towards the womens needs in the ward. A little more patient empathy would be good. Having a section is highly stressful so a little bed side care would help. Breastfeeding help was non existent. I was told i couldn't leave until breastfeeding was established but never did anyone observe any feeds. I understand it is a busy ward but each patient should be treated with the same care.

{{category}} working at Doncaster Royal Infirmary ({{entities.length}})

Short link to review Doncaster Royal Infirmary: http://iwgc.net/eb32o