Freshwell Health Centre

Wethersfield Road, Finchingfield, Braintree, EssexEngland, CM7 4BQ

Also known as: Freshford Practice

28th June 2015

This practice is an example of how primary care should be delivered. You can ALWAYS get an appointment if you need it, doctors ALWAYS ring you back and you are NEVER made to feel that your worries are unreasonable. When I was recently very concerned about an X-ray my daughter had had, Dr Walker went out of his why to contact me and have a lengthy and reassuring discussion immediately the results were available. There is real care, compassion and expertise at this practice. It is first class.

28th May 2015

I phoned the surgery in the morning as I was very concerned about the swelling in my leg I was given an appointment that very morning all staff were so helpful and friendly tests were done immediately and then a scan that same day I could not have received any better treatment which is ongoing but I feel very safe in their hands . In my case you could not improve the care

28th May 2015

I have used as a patient and worked alongside as a nurse many surgeries and I can honestly say that is is the best. All the staff are helpful, appointments are no problem - I use internet booking but I can usually get through on the phone quite easily if needed. The site is pleasant, user friendly and lots of parking. There is an active local community fundraising organisation to support the surgery. I have confidence in the GPs and nurses.

17th April 2015

I phoned on a recent Wednesday to make an appointment with my regular doctor. I was told that the next routine appointment would be on the following Monday unless I considered it was urgent. It wasn't. I was told that if my circumstances changed I could phone for an urgent appointment. 30 minutes later I received a phone call from the surgery saying that there was a cancellation and I could attend on Friday. When I attended, my doctor said I needed an x-ray and a blood test. The x-ray was taken within half an hour and I had to return later that day for the blood test. I am not sure what a better service looks like. I am 75 years old. Over the years have been registered with several other practices in different parts of the country and Freshwell is certainly the best. I have been registered with them now for four years and found them supportive encouraging and genuinely concerned. The staff are are always friendly and helpful and take the extra step to help.

2nd April 2015

I requested travel vaccine (typhoid) in rediness for travelling to China. I was absolutely flabbergasted and a little perturbed that they would not provide me with the vaccination necessary for safe travel. As I had not given them 4 weeks notice. A)I dont attend the GP's that often B)Was told to check the travel vaccination clinics on the rear of the form. Couldnt do that as I had handed the forms back into the surgery. I am aware that the vaccine should be ideally given 4 weeks before travel, but this was an urgent booking and I would be travelling before end of April. So now I have to find a travel clinic somewhere in the Essex county? without being able to attend the GP practice 200 yards if that from my home.

24th April 2015
Response from Freshwell Health Centre

Thanks very much for taking the time to feed back to us. We are sorry to hear that you have been disappointed by our service on this occasion. We can confirm that you were correctly advised that we do not offer an immediate or urgent travel vaccination service. We are happy to provide this service to anyone who gives us more than four weeks’ notice (though at least eight weeks would be preferable). The reason for this decision is patient safety: After a patient fills in a travel form, this is analysed and a full risk assessment is carried out. The patient is contacted and an initial consultation is arranged at a mutually convenient time. After that consultation the vaccinations are ordered & subsequently delivered to us as it is not feasible for us to keep them all in stock. The patient is then invited back to have the injections. Travel vaccinations in general are thought to take two weeks to become effective, so these should be given at least two weeks before departure. With less than four weeks’ notice, this gives us a very tight timescale which means that a patient may not get their vaccination soon enough. In addition to this, trying to squeeze all this in at short notice tends to impinge on our nurses’ urgent appointments availability that we try to reserve for people who are unwell. The advantage of going to a specialist travel clinic for urgent travel vaccinations is that they deal in sufficiently high volumes so that it is feasible for them to keep a good stock of travel vaccines. Therefore a patient would not have to incur the delay of waiting for vaccine delivery and a second appointment – everything can happen on the same day. We believe this is a safer option when timing is tight. We were sorry that you were advised to read information regarding other travel clinics on the form that you had already handed in – this must have been frustrating for you. In future we will ensure that all our staff advise patients that this information is readily available on the travel clinic section of our website. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Due to patient confidentiality, we are unable to comment on your specific case in detail but should you wish to discuss things further with a member of our management team then they would be happy to meet with you.