Wrightington Hospital

Hall Lane, Appley Bridge, Wigan, Lancashire England, WN6 9EP

19th January 2018

I have been a patient at this hospital a total of 3 times in 9 years and each time my care has been brilliant. The staff have always been professional and courteous, all credit due to them. This last stay was also as good but could have been better, especially as I was a private patient. If I was being picky, I would have liked to have had a room in a private wing of the hospital (if there was one), yes, i had my one room but that was it. On arrival there wasn't even any soap to wash my hands after visiting the toilet. Obviously I complained but it didn't seem a priority, I insisted and did get some soap. Otherwise all was ok.

11th July 2016

Ward 1. Great professional team. EVERYONE was totally superb including the more junior members of staff. Theatre nurses so very professional. Aftercare post op, well the girls could not have been more helpful. Its a great comfort when you have a team as good as this that performs beyond the call of duty. At times The much maligned NHS needs praise when its due. You only ever read about issues and not enough about correct care. I had an operation on a broken thumb, 2nd Op was needed by MR Adam Watts who I must say is a credit to his profession. This team ranging from reception to ward, to pre op, actual operation and post op care cannot be faulted. I work with a small team of people and each are hand picked. Its obvious to me that we have a similar team of professional people on Ward 1 that shines like a beacon of professional care. I think chocolates are the order of the day girls. Thank you for you're Care last Thursday 5th. Me and my broken thumb although painful are deeply appreciative of your undoubted skills. Mr Watts Sir, you are a star. Thank you. MP.

26th May 2016

I have been attending Wrightington Hospital for over 10 years and during this time My care, support and treatment have been excellent, I advise people to be referred to them because of this. I have a 3 hour round trip from home but consider that worth while for the service that I receive

1st April 2016

The friendliness of staff from all levels is excellent from arriving to leaving the hospital. The cleanliness is unbelievable - a real benchmark for other hospitals to follow . I felt very safe in a secure environment and felt that my privacy and dignity was maintained . The surgeon and anaesthetist both ensured that I fully understood what was happening to me .

25th March 2015

I had a total knee replacement operation on Friday 13th March; it went well. I was treated with great respect and dignity throughout at a time when I was, to say the least, a little anxious. The surgeon and rest of the medical team were reassuring and professional leaving me in no doubt I was in the right place with the right people. I remain of that view. Of course, a hospital stay is not just about the surgery (in this case). There are a vast swathe of people, seen and unseen who help make the stay what is is. I'd like to say a few words about them, firstly the nursing staff. I want to split the nursing staff into two categories, day shift and night shift staff. The day shift staff were simply amazing. They were friendly, approachable and supportive at all times in all circumstances. Nothing was too much trouble to them and yet they were clearly very busy. I'm lost in admiration for them. I can say the same for the majority of night shift staff. Unfortunately however, there were a few who were, well, awful! They did not make me feel comfortable, they ignored calls for help from fellow patients and made so much noise I thought on one occasion (when it woke me up), I was in the middle of a busy office! Want to know the worst bit? I was feeling quite vulnerable because I couldn't move my leg, but I felt I didn't want to disturb them as they didn't make me feel safe. Now, I imagine there's a whole group of people that get overlooked in feedback of this nature. However, it would be quite remiss of me not to mention them. They are the cleaners, the volunteer staff and the caterers. The ward, washrooms and other areas were cleaned thoroughly every day. I've never seen such standards - the one lady I saw most got into every nook and cranny whether she was sweeping and mopping the floor or wiping down a bed. She's a credit to the hospital. The volunteer staff were wonderful. Always happy with a cheery word or two, nothing was too much for them - made me look forward to seeing them every morning. Likewise, the catering staff. It can't be easy providing nutritious meals to so many people each and every day, yet they managed it with me. The food was always hot/warm and tasty and the portion sizes just right. Certainly helped keep me in good form. Finally, I'd very much like to say how impressed I was with all the administrative staff I came into contact with before, during and after my operation. They have all been courteous, knowledgeable and pleasant to communicate with whenever I've needed to contact the hospital. In conclusion, Wrightington Hospital is, from my point of view, a hospital getting it right (despite Government interference in the NHS and dare I say it, too much management!).