The Priory Hospital Roehampton

Priory Lane, Roehampton, London, England, SW15 5JJ

5th July 2017

I would definitely recommend The Priory! I was treated for anxiety and depression and I was a day patient for 13 weeks. My therapists were excellent and although the treatment was at times very 'confronting' and hard work, it cured me of my illness. Fortunately, it has been the only mental health hospital that I have ever had experience of, but it was a truly excellent and life enriching experience. Should anyone expect to stay in a 5 star hotel then they are going to be disappointed. However, if you are ill and can accept that you are ill, then The Priory will assist you in turning your life around. I cannot recommend TP highly enough and I will always remember it fondly. Indeed, it was a sanctuary filled with love and tough love that really is committed to its patients.

4th March 2017

I was in the camhs eating disorders unit. The care I received was really bad. The place totally traumatized me and the things I had to deal with there was terrible. My consultant refused to involve me in my own care, she only told me what to do and expected me to do it. The team didn't really treat me individually I just had to go along with the rules they set yet many of them only made me worse. We were all expected to just sit down all day, we weren't allowed to stand up for even a minute, we'd get told to stop 'exercising'. We did no physical activity which was difficult to sit around all day. My parents were convinced the hospital would help me it only made me worse. I just wished I actually got a say in my own care, maybe things would've turned out differently. It was extremely difficult to go through all of I went through there. I was extremely helpless, I just didn't know what to do with myself and every time I was just told I didn't have the 'capacity' which wasn't true at all. It's was horrible. I'd say the only good thing about that place was some of the staff members who were caring and meant a lot to me. Otherwise it actually really scarred me.

12th September 2016
Written by a member of staff

My experience of the Priory was and remains extremely positive. In fact it saved my life. I cannot recommend it enough. The staff are second to none, but they won't suffer fools or tolerate nonsense. I might suggest that those not happy with the involvement in decisions about their care or felt they weren't treated as they'd expect were too unwell to make those decisions and/or still in some denial about their illness. The Priory is a hospital, not a 5 star hotel. You aren't on holiday and if you want to get better then you must expect tough love I'm afraid. Remember, the hospital will have seen it all! I was in for alcoholism and have now been sober for 16 months, without the support I received and continue to receive from the Priory (such as giving ex patient shares, keeping in touch, attending functions), I'm not sure I would even be alive. Acceptance of the problem is the first step. If you are considering going into the Priory or wanting a family member/friend to seek treatment there, you really can't go wrong unless the patient has other ideas and rebels against 'rules' or expects to be treated like 'royalty'. Recovery is hard work and if you want a holiday then this is not the place for you!

9th October 2015

Always clean with friendly staff, very welcoming atmosphere.

5th November 2014

The hospital ruined my life- I got misdiagnosed with every condition under the sun except the one I had. Due to misdiagnosis I didn't receive therapy I needed, was given years of cbt which made my condition worse- psychiatrist at another hospital said I had been misdiagnosed and that should never have been given cbt and was on wrong medicine. Ended up in accident and emergency seriously ill unable to walk- if only someone had realised- Asked for a refund because psychiatrist at another hospital said I was given wrong treatment still yet to receive one. Gave hospital a million pounds just for them to tell me I have something which I don't even have and not tell me what I have- psychiatrist said I am entitled to refund still fighting for one. I would have been better throwing my money in a river. No I would never recommend this hospital- my advice is go the opposite direction to the hospital.