scunthorpe-general-hospital

Scunthorpe General Hospital

Cliff Gardens, Scunthorpe, North Lincolnshire, England, DN15 7BH

1 2 3 4 5 2,233 reviews

18th November 2021

The nursing staff were amazing and always on hand to answer questions

I was on the ward for about 6 hours with breathing problems I needed to be able to rest but the chairs were not comfortable and I had no chance of eating properly

18th November 2021

Generally everything was good just more welcoming would be of benefit but it’s understandable after a long tiring day and being overworked and underpaid.

A welcoming smile and more welcoming in general.

18th November 2021

Everyone including the ambulance crew were very professional and polite.

Nothing

Review of Antenatal Clinic SGH,
18th November 2021

I was boked in for 11am for scan and to meet the consultant. I had my scan and was waiting for my consultant from 11:20am....I had to wait in the waiting area until 2pm. I later heard the consultant had their dinner and breaks whilst I waited hungry not knowing why there was a delay. I am 32 weeks pregnant, hungry and have to work that time back at work. My husband had to wait outside for all of that time as well without any seating as that it the current policy. In addition since I became pregnant I have NEVER seen the same midwife or consultant, they have always been different both at scunthorpe hospital and at the Isle midwives. I have had 4 midwife appointments and 4 consultant seeing a different person each time, which doesn't give me comfort or confidence.

Informed me of the delay. I could have got food and come back. Organise staffing better as the waiting room was packed with women which had delays of 2 hours from their appointment time. Arrange appointment times that are realistic and amend them if people are off work. Allow pregnant ladies to see the same midwife and consultant. I come in the same times and days each time I've gone to an appointment but they're still never the same.

Review of Antenatal Clinic SGH,
18th November 2021

Staff was lovely and helpful.

I have been waiting over 2.5h to see doctor after my scan. It's really exhausting to wait such a long time. I have kids at school and I had to arrange someone to pick them up because of waiting time.

18th November 2021

Hi the staff were brilliant seeing what they have to cope with is an eye opener, the gent who provided the conversation,sandwich and tea was much appreciated. The down side is the time it took to go through the proceedures but when you see the people coming in with very serious problems and the staff have to react and prioratise then you wait to me no problem. A big thank you to the staff and all concerned cheers Allan

Don't think you can improve the care provided the staff all the staff were brilliant but the amount of people they have to deal with does overload the system

Review of Ward 17,
17th November 2021

The entire staff at every level has been absolutely spot on, I can't fault anyone. They have saved my life and I am eternally grateful.

No nothing.

Na

Na

I felt look after

Not on this visit

16th November 2021

Arrived at SGH, A & E at approximately 10.30a.m ish? on Monday 25th October 2021, with extreme stomach and abdominal pain, wait for an ambulance was going to be up to 6 hours, so managed to arrive by my own transport, firstly the reception very bad mannered, showed no interest, just abruptly said "sit down ", I was unable to sit due to the pain, also, again abruptly said to my husband "you can't sit or wait", a lady followed me in with her elderly mother? in a wheelchair asking about parking, the receptionist didn't even look up or acknowledge her, she asked again, same response, nothing, the lady looked at me, shrugged her shoulders and left, I was appalled! I was called into treatment area, I was in assessment area 1, with a large blue chair, 'old' dry blood stains down the side of the chair and on the floor, where blood must have dripped from a previous patient! The attitude, of whom I believe to be the Senior Nurse in charge, again appalling, speaking aggressively to other staff, e.g " that's not how we do things here " etc, to doctors/staff that appeared to be her senior but couldn't say for sure? Also, a nurse who appeared to be a junior, again not sure, had obviously been sent to get some copies of a document, was told very abruptly, by this same nurse, not on this machine, poor girl was just left wondering what to do?, fortunately another nurse logged onto a computer and sorted things, there was then a dispute on the telephone with the reception desk, the nurse saying send patients to another area and the receptionist stating she had been told to send patients to this area and the receptionist finished by saying "I have no idea what to do ". During my approximate 4 hour stay I was twice prescribed pain killers, they never arrived! Good job it wasn't medication that I urgently required! I did say to the nurse who had prescribed them, when I was discharged, was she aware that she was giving instructions to members of her team and they were not being carried out, I pointed out that I felt this was ' Serious Cause for Concern', I expected her to be shocked/appalled but she didn't seem to be too concerned, I did try to point out that to have staff not following instructions in any setting is serious but in a medical situation it was cause for alarm, as the consequences, could be fatal, still didn't appear overly bothered, just said "do you want some now?" My reply "No, I have some at home" I genuinely could not believe her reaction! The atmosphere amongst staff definitely did not appear relaxed and they certainly didn't appear to be working as a Team!

What is required is a great deal of staff training! A long, hard look at basic organisational skills definitely required, I just sat watching and the everyday basic running, that applies to any big 'Organisation' didn't appear to exist. No excuse for poor cleanliness at all and especially during these difficult times, or let's be honest at any time! I appreciate how stretched and stressful the NHS is at present but during my visit it simply came over as disorganised and a bit of a 'not bothered ' attitude, hence no pain killers received! I accept the tests done were required, blood tests, chest X - Ray and ECG but I was surprised they didn't include more attention to my stomach and abdomen, the only attention given to these areas was an examination, nothing else yet this was reason I was in Scunthorpe A & E. Serious staff training throughout required plus total re organisation, this is what the NHS needs because until this is addressed throwing money at the NHS is a total waste of time.

Experience

{{category}} working at Scunthorpe General Hospital ({{entities.length}})

Short link to review Scunthorpe General Hospital: http://iwgc.net/eb4wk