Bristol Royal Infirmary

Marlborough Street, Bristol, England, BS2 8HW

1st November 2017

The treatment given to my wife was excellent. She was treated with compassion and dignity and as an individual. All the staff including the cleaning and catering personnel are personable and friendly. God help us if Brexit leads to an exit of immigrants because BRI will be short of over half it's staff.

Efficiency

Caring

Nursing staff

18th December 2012

We arrived at 11.30pm on a Saturday night and eventually managed to negotiate the maze to the waiting room. We were surprised it was not more busy. We registered our friend who had a nasty, displaced wrist fracture that was immediately obvious to me, the triage nurse and radiographer. She was in severe pain and was only given co-codamol. Having a medical background, I asked about stronger medication, but was told it was not possible. The next two hours were very distressing. We had to sit next to our friend who was in agony. My wife was thirsty and the water fountain did not work. No one offered us a drink or showed us where we could get one. I felt like we should be grateful for being there and that we would be seen in turn. I asked several times for pain relief and for a review, particularly as the XRay had confirmed the fracture. At 01:20, I asked the charge nurse to help us. As soon as we were taken to minors and met the excellent locum SHO, everything changed. The environment was nicer, pain relief was given rapidly and we all relaxed. Communication was clear and honest. The SHO was charming, efficient and re-assuring. The orthopaedic team elected to admit our friend, rather than pull the fracture in the Emergency Department. In fact they returned to the ED at 11am the next morning to pull it there. My friend reports that she was “put to sleep in casualty” to pull the arm. “Then waited all day to be allowed home”. I am grateful to all who helped us. It would, however, have been simple to listen and give adequate pain relief on arrival. That would have transformed our experience.