Dr Manoj Mathen

• Psychiatry

23rd June 2017
Written by a member of staff at The Dales Unit

Having worked alongside Dr M Mathen for a number of years I hate to report that I do not believe he should be in the consultant position. He makes his decisions before talking to the service user and even before reading the ward notes. He gives all service users the same medication, quetiapine, regardless of their symptoms. He also has a habit of claiming that a service user is not psychotic if one antipsychotic doesn't work, claiming that if they were truly psychotic then the medication should be an effective treatment, without trying any other medications. Seriously ill service users are often misdiagnosed and discharged without any prior warning and seemingly for no apparent reason. We receive a high amount of complaints regarding Dr M Mathen and in the years of working alongside him I have never found a service user who trusted his judgment, which I believe is incredibly worrying.

14th June 2017
Written by a patient at The Dales Unit

I have been admitted onto dr mathens ward numerous times. He has misdiagnosed me multiple times over the years as he doesn't listen to a word you say. It seems that if you want to be in hospital he dismisses you as stable and discharges you and if you don't want to be there he will section you even if you clearly have capacity. This dismissing of patients who actually want the help led to the death of a fellow patient while I was in a couple of years ago. I can't believe he kept his job after his actions led to a suicide of a vulnerable patient. He doesn't take any notice of your wishes regarding care or meds and he even took me off my antipsychotic medication stating that I was not psychotic. I went to my community doctor as soon as I was discharged and he put me straight back on the right meds stating that I clearly had a psychotic disorder. He doesn't know his arm from his leg. After meeting many other patients on the ward I have never heard a good word about dr mathen.

25th April 2017
Written by a patient at The Dales Unit

A really awful experience being under the 'care' of Doctor Mathen. I experienced threats with the Mental Health Act throughout my entire Informal stay in Mathen's ward. Many illogical moves and 'rules' were put in place which were not discussed with me. He has no interest in the welfare of his patients and is, in my opinion, very dangerous. I have no idea how he made it to Consultant level with his lack of communication skills.

Nearest Psychiatrists