The Bowley Close Rehabilitation Centre

Bowley Close, Farquhar Road, London, Southwark, SE19 1SZ

18th August 2017
Written by a family member

Terrible service. They tell you from the start that they don't cover basic needs and you need to go to a charity for funding. Then they tell you because you helped fund the chair they will not service it or help if something goes wrong. They are quite happy to make you rely on ambulance stretcher and paramedics to get about. They cannot even provide a chair to keep your child alive. This is apparently an added luxury.

17th March 2017

I had orthotics made. Good service and caring orthotists

12th January 2016

Provided me a wheelchair that was too heavy to push myself. Then added a power pack that was too heavy for us to use. No mention was made of vouchers. Been going for years and ended up buying my own wheelchairs. Do not listen at all to what you need.

3rd December 2015

This is an update - the review from Nov 2014 is from me, and I wanted to comment as I went back to Bowley Close for a reasssessment, as I'd asked about getting a lighter wheelchair. I didn't think I'd be eligible for anything lighter than the Action 3 I was issued with in 2014, and was expecting to have to go down the voucher route. However I was reassessed, and the woman assessing me issued a rigid active-user chair. She did say I could take the voucher if I wanted to, but the chair I tested out met my requirements spot on! It'll be a few weeks until it arrives, but so far I've been pleasantly surprised by my interactions with Bowley Close. The only negative was the waiting time for an appointment - I was advised it could be up to 6 months, though I got seen earlier than that because I was able to take a short-notice cancellation appointment.

11th November 2014

I use a wheelchair part time, so wasn't sure I'd be eligible for an NHS chair. However, based on an initial phone assessment I was provided a basic self-propelling chair. Unfortunately it was too big, so I refused it, and requested an in-clinic assessment. The wheelchair technician listened to my requirements, and recommended a slightly lighter, more adjustable chair, and this was provided 6 weeks after the assessment. There were a couple of tweaks needed - the hand rims supplied were rubberised, and the foot plates were the two piece type. I wanted a one piece footplate, and smooth handrims. The handrims were in stock, and were fitted only a week after asking for the swap, and the footplate was swapped once they'd recieved it from their stockist. The chair is a bit heavy - it's not a nippy active user chair. Ideally I'd like something more lightweight and nimble, but the technician has said I can go back if this chair doesn't work for me, so it doesn't feel like I've just been lumped with something rubbish!