South West Essex Wheelchair Service

Thurrock Community Hospital, Long Lane, Grays, Essex, RM16 2PX

7th November 2015

The clinic and prescription of chairs is good especially if your a long term user and know exactly what you need to live an independent life and the staff are friendly the main thing that lets this service down is the maintenance of the chairs I often end up doing my own maintenance as do a number of people I know as the company with the service contract for the last 20odd years often come in spin the wheels round go that's okish and leave even when you point out problems

11th March 2015

Wheelchair services in Thurrock do not provide me with a power wheelchair as I can move around the home in aa manual chair. I can't use a manual chair at school as it takes me too long to move around the school. I use my manual chair as a backup and at home . It is not suitable for my life style. I use a power chair provided by whizz kids everyday at school and at weekends if I go out.

21st December 2014

First time attended Thurrock wheelchair services was seen by Jo Cocken, she was very polite, helpful & very passionate about her job & ensuring that a very thorough assessment was carried out... We feel she was very kind, patient & understanding & went over & above the call of duty to ensure the right equipment was obtained, she then saw us to ensure all was ok & each time thoroughly assessed to ensure the equipment was helping and comfortable, when this no longer worked to its full potential, she then ordered a different chair with more support, which was also more comfortable, she fiddled & adjusted to ensure utmost was done to aid comfort & correct posture,, when she did as much as she could possibly do, she then involved engineer Peter Barker, who also worked as hard as he possibly could to ensure this chair was made to be as supportive & comfortable as possible....... I can honestly say these 2 staff members were so very professional, kind, helpful & understanding to needs and a credit to the nhs workforce, it was obvious the patients comfort & well being were of utmost importance to both of them,,,, the nhs needs more people like these 2..... Thank u Jo & Peter so very much...

2nd December 2014

Despite not being able to push herself around the school all day , my daughter is not entitled to a powerchair .. as she doesn't meet the criteria?? We have to source a power chair from charity to enable her to keep up with school life. This system is wrong , and we should be trying to change it.