York Hospital

Wigginton Road, York, England, YO31 8HE

28th May 2019

I was sent by my GP to the Ambulatory Care Unit last Thursday with a HB of 80, and told I may need a blood transfusion. As soon as I arrived on the unit, I was very much looked after - the staff couldn't have been kinder or more attentive. I had various tests following which I saw the Dr. who gave me the choice of either a blood transfusion, or an infusion of iron, the latter of which I decided on. I had the choice of tea, coffee, orange juice, water, biscuits, sandwiches, yoghourt etc. , as did my husband who had accompanied me, throughout the day. I am to have a further infusion of iron on Saturday. The unit is fantastic, and my care was second to none.

14th February 2018

I was admitted by ambulance which I called, as my asthma was badly affecting my breathing. I was checked in at A&E within 25 minutes and within 2.5 hours was diagnosed with a bacterial infection and admitted, to treat the infection and also to restore my oxygen level and peak flow readings to a respectable level. I was in 48 hours and was well cared for my the ward staff and the asthma consultants. My experience of A&E was also very positive, even though they were very busy. I was concerned about my diet - I am also a coeliac, but apart from the first night - it was 23.00 hours and food availability was very limited - I had had nothing to eat since breakfast - the rest of the time that issue was well looked after

13th February 2016

I attended Ambulatory Care on a Thursday evening directly from my GP who was concerned that I was developing Lymphadenitis and Cellulitis in my leg. I was advised to take some toiletries and overnight clothes as it was likely I would have to be admitted. On arrival I was seen very promptly by a nurse and the Consultant on duty who took blood tests to determine the best antibiotics for my infection and to see how badly I was affected. These came back within half an hour, the correct medication was obtained and an IV started to infuse them. This took about 45 minutes after which I was allowed to return home with detailed instruction as to what to do should I feel more ill and another appointment for 9.30am the next morning. Basically this procedure was repeated daily for five days with bloods being taken to check that the infection was subsiding and I was also given blood thinning injections to prevent the possible formation of blood clots. On the Sunday my leg swelled alarmingly and I was given an out of hours appointment at the on call GP service located in A&E. It was Sunday evening and the place was packed, as expected, with A&E patients, some of whom decided after a long wait that whatever they had come for could wait until the morning and their GP. So obviously neither an accident nor an emergency. However we were seen within five minutes of our appointment and reassured that it would be ok to wait until our next appointment the following morning back in Ambulatory Care as I had been given the blood thinners as a precaution. The short story is that I was able to go onto a very high dose oral antibiotic with a review, on another Saturday morning, back on the unit. Throughout the care given by the nurses, health assistants and the on duty Consultant Doctors was exemplary. There was nothing that could have been improved. They kept me out of hospital whilst providing an equivalent level of care. I was dreading having to stay in hospital; it is, with the best of intentions, a boring, noisy and stressful environment. A true example of a 24/7 NHS. This must be the future. An amazing level of care delivered by every member of staff who explained everything, such as the meanings of my blood results, to the professional but personal manner in which they spoke to me. And most of this care happened on a weekend. I am more than happy for any of my remarks or observations being used to demonstrate how happy I am with the care given to me by the Staff on the Ambulatory Care Unit.

23rd August 2014

I spent three days in the Acute Admissions Ward recently, and was greatly impressed with the staff, all of whom were at the top of their game at all times, handling some difficult incidents in a highly professional manner.

23rd November 2012

York hospital is always busy but i found all the nurces and doctors would always have time to talk to you and ask you questions about how you are. if i should happen to have to stay in york hospital againdue to illness i would not be hesitant about the care i would recieve.

9th November 2012

Another visit to this hospital that was very good. They, like everyone else, are strapped for cash, but this isnt allowed to interfere with the care I have recieved. *****

4th November 2012

On the whole I would say that my treatment at YDH was very good hence the average 90% rating. There were however three areas that I believe with slight changes in procedure could offer significant improvement to the patient experience. 1, Each patient on my ward had suffered problems sourcing additional medication from home. In other words I arrived on the ward without any of my usual medication for asthma and high blood pressure. Despite numerous requests it took almost three days for me to get my usual meds and after four days I was still one missing. This really was down to a lack of communication between the wards concerned as I know on my first day the ward nurse had a full list of the meds required. If this was just my experience I wouldn’t mention it but as I said earlier I know that the other men on the ward had similar problems. 2, For most of the time I was in hospital I was running a high temperature. So my major concern was that I had access to a constant supply of drinking water. It was therefore a concern to me that each night our water jugs were taken away around 4am not to be returned until around 7am. When I asked I was told that the jugs had to go off to the dishwasher. Surely a better solution can be found than this. If a patient is running a fever they don’t want to be ringing their buzzer every five minutes for a glass of tepid water! 3, I don’t know what to say about the food. So I shall say nothing except that it doesn’t have to be a four letter word. In summary I felt that the doctors were brilliant. The Nursing and auxiliary teams were hard working and very good. The lady who cleaned our ward each day was a joy and my treatment and care deserved an overall 90%.

3rd November 2012

My general treatment and care was great, no complaints.

31st October 2012

Everybody on Ward 21 were fantastic and I mean everybody from bloods, cleaners nurses,catering staff.

17th October 2012

This is my second visit to York general hospital. I thought the standard of catering had gone down since my first visit.

Nursing staff

{{category}} working at York Hospital ({{entities.length}})

Short link to review York Hospital: http://iwgc.net/eb6in