The Priory Hospital Southampton

Hythe Road, Marchwood, Southampton, England, SO40 4WU

8th March 2017

Really experienced, knowledgeable & caring staff. I felt they genuinely wanted me to do well. It was a huge relief to eventually find a team that understood me & wanted the best for me.

14th April 2016

The nursing staff were lovely but for £12000 for two weeks there was no one to one support offered by a therapist. I requested that but my consultant wouldn't even take ten minutes out of his day to address my concerns and listen to me. There are group therapy sessions where you can end up taking on everyone else's baggage and anxieties but for the amount of money that it costs to be here I think it's pretty shocking that there is no one to one support to help you process your thoughts and anxieties. A few of us have had these concerns and it felt like there was very little value for money and that we were just fobbed off by doctors who didn't want to take the time to listen.

11th February 2015

Generally satisfied but felt there was a terrible lack of activities at weekends and bank holidays which did nothing to raise our spirits. After being fully programmed all week, the weekend seemed endless. With hindsight I might have enjoyed the chance to cook as there was a fully equipped kitchen which was never used. Something like singing therapy would have done us good or a proper organised walk.

7th August 2014

My review is of the CAMHS ward only: I've been to three mental health units in my time. Here, one other Priory, and an NHS unit. The other priory I was a patient at was, without a doubt, a truly great hospital with caring staff, proper therapy and a great layout. The NHS unit was again a great help and it felt as if the staff really cared. This unit was completely different. There was next to no therapy, the staff did not come and socialise with patients, my parent never even met my consultant, I had only a few 1:1 sessions during my stay, as opposed to AT LEAST weekly ones in my other hospitals. I felt as if I was unfairly treated and my opinions were not listend too. I also felt patronised by doctors and saw disputes and bickering between doctors and staff. There was no communication between consultants, doctors, nurses and HCA's. I had one staff member who said I had 'stuffed my face' at dinner - I was an eating disorders patient, and the comment still strikes me now. I don't think I benefited at all from my stay here. I would recommend any patient to avoid this particular priory if possible, and seek better help.

19th March 2014
Written by a member of staff

The hospital is set in lovely grounds and has an eloquence that softens the distress many of the people who attend the hospital experience.The staff are welcoming and the environment clean.The long corridor can be a bit daunting but the bedrooms are modern and private. There is a beatiful conservatory which seems to be unused which is puzzling but there has been a lot of refurbishment recently which might explain its change of use.