Southmead Hospital

Westbury-on-Trym, Bristol, England, BS10 5NB

5th January 2018

Ended up in A and E after being hurt by a large animal on the rampage. I was thrown in the air, somersaulted over and landed on my head and twisted at an odd angle on to my neck. I was knocked out briefly and when I came to my friend was calling an ambulance, she was told they were busy and there would be a long wait, so we said leave it and we'll make our own way to Southmead Hospital. I didn't want to be a bother so we went to the out of hours at Cossham instead. I was still headachy, vomiting, seeing stars and feeling very nauseous and dizzy as well as abdominal pain where I'd been rammed with force (a lovely large bruise was forming by this time) So the out of hours doctor wrote a letter for Southmead A and E basically telling them what injuries and symptoms I had (we looked!) and told us we should go to the hospital. So we did. I gave the letter to the receptionist at Southmead and we were told to take a seat. I was still vomiting so hoped we'd be seen quickly because I really felt poorly. We sat there for 4 hours watching people coming in behind us and being seen before us and then going home. My friend asked the receptionist when they thought we'd be seen and we were told they didn't know. About half an hour later a nurse called us in to a room and she seemed rather annoyed we were there, she didn't make eye contact with me, like i said she seemed cross with me and didn't seem concerned about my symptoms after she read the letter, didn't do any examination but gave me some paracetamol and asked me to wait outside. We waited for another 3 hours, thankfully I'd stopped vomiting in this time and the paracetamol had helped with the headache. My friend spoke to the receptionist again and they said they didn't know how much longer we would have to wait, there were people still coming in behind us and going straight through to see a doctor (we saw his badge when he came out) so we weren't really sure why we were sitting there at all. My friend had to go to work in a few hours so we left and she dropped me home before going home herself and it was literally 5 am at this point. I was quite sore and sick for a little while but I kept taking Ibuprofen and paracetamol and I googled about dealing with the neck and abdominal pain which I did have for a long time but I don't really notice it now. I just wanted to apologise to the staff in A and E because we were only there because the Cossham out of hours doctor told us to go. I'm sorry we made such nuisances of ourselves and caused an inconvenience. I know you all work really hard and do an amazing job under such stress and it really didn't help you having one more person you'd rather not have to deal with. I think I won't be so quick to come to Southmead A and E next time something happens. I am quite embarrassed to be honest so glad this is anonymous, but I did feel like I should apologise.

19th October 2017

What an amazing facility and we are so lucky to have an institution as great as the NHS.

2nd October 2017

the nursing staff brilliant.they work so hard and should be paid much better take note mr hunt.a big tank you to the indian nurse tereasa and the lovely fran both staff nurses.

2nd September 2017

The above is based on my experience as an outpatient at the Department of General Surgery and am pleased to award the high rating. However as an outpatient who received outpatient orthopedic treatment I would not rate my experience so highly. Initially the treatment was excellent and the lack of communication from those attending me was well covered by the pamphets and similar literature given. The intermediate appointments treatment [plaster room staff] was also commendable with friendly knowledgeable staff. The final appointment [22 June] experience was marred by over a two hour wait beyond the stated time. It would have been helpful had the 'receptionists' spoken with our group of waiting patients and given explanation/expectations of when we might have our consults. When finally seen it was admittedly well managed by the consultant and I was discharged, However when I queried the continued wearing of the ROM boot it appeared that the advice would be given by physiotherapists - I assumed from what was said that I should have had some contact with them earlier. In the event the consultant indicated that he would refer me to the physio's to complete my rehabilitation and would also write to my GP. I requested a copy of that letter but it was not sent but my GP supplied one dated 28 June which confirmed the physio referral - I had received no referral appointment by mid July which led my GP to write to the orthopedics team to chase this. It is now early September and there has been no further contact from either Ortho or Physio. I now manage my own rehabilitation in consultation with my GP and 'internet' So on that basis I would only rate as 3* the 2nd, 3rd & 4th categories above.

20th August 2017

During my 10 day stay on the HDU & Neuro ward this March, I could not have wished for better care. I was treated with the upmost dignity and respect even thought I was unable to care for myself. I cannot thank the staff enough for their care. They really are a credit to the hospital.