Royal Gwent Hospital

Cardiff Road, Newport, Gwent, Wales, NP20 2UB

Written by
8th February 2021

My mother was transferred to the Gwent at 5.30pm. I called at about 9pm to find out what ward she was on. The receptionist said she couldn’t tell me as she didn’t have access to any patient records and transferred me back to originating hospital. They said ask gwent. Phoned again, so put me through to random dept as they had access. Told she was not registered on system. No one can tell me where my mother is so unable to talk to anyone about her current situation.

13th January 2021

I went for an out-patients appointment at the Eye hospital on Tues 12th Jan, was very disappointed with the doctors who were examining people (don't forget at a very short distance) only wore a mask and nothing else, no visor or gloves when they are touching your face. My future son in law works at a very known opticians and was very surprised when I told him because he wears full PPE and that's in an optician, surely doctors in a hospital should be in full PPE.

10th December 2020

I have had two serious operations at the Gwent in the last 4 years, the second was because the first was unsuccessful and needed more invasive surgery. On both occasions I was told to change into the surgical gown, prior to the op, in the TOILET. Even though I complained about it the first time it happened again. The nurses on the ward could not be bothered to change the B.P. cuff to the right size and insisted on using one that was too small and literally knelt on it to stop it from coming off. I spent 5 days in I.C.U. and was criticised by the so called "care" nurse on the first day for pooing the bed after waiting for over 10 minutes for her to find a commode. I was even told by an off duty nurse before going in the first time that she would make sure I wouldnt come out alive. I could go on. Fortunately, not all the staff are as evil and as sick as the people in question, but they are the people who give the place a bad name. They are a disgrace to the medical profession and should be publicly named and shamed.

5th December 2020

Amazing experience from urology dept here ! Sophie , Rachel and the anethesist team were fantastic Adam the consultant/surgeon was amazing Sally in recovery was a real laugh Kevin the Porter also made me laugh to the point I went into theatre smiling These are just a few name I remember but every member of staff was absolutely amazing I’d rate this place “the best hospital in Wales “ by far !!!

29th October 2020

Cleaning has always been an issue at this hospital, it is known as filthy. I had a relative undergo surgery during the covid crisis. Recovery did not go well and staff passed it off as an infection for weeks instead of testing. They died purely due to catching covid in the ward.

21st September 2020

Attitude in this Hospital is disgraceful, my Father was admitted on 10th September when he found that he could not move his legs and is still in there to this day, he has been having all sorts of tests, I have been trying from day two to this present day to find out whats wrong with him but apart from saying its NOT a Stroke they would tell me nothing and of course I have not been allowed to see him (we were told that there was an infection going around the Hospital which I accept, but why there has been no word at all I just dont know, because I insisted that they tell me the results of his illness on the 18th September they now tell me that he has indeed had a stroke, im sure that although we have not been allowed to see him that they could have given an update now and then. As one person commented the hospital is indeed filthy, whilst I and my Mother waited outside to hand over my Dads clean clothing two nurses arrived from outside without masks and walked through without sanitising their hands also wearing their Nurses uniform which means they could easily have been carrying more germs into the hospital, also why is it essential for us to wear masks when you enter hospital and Nurses are exempt, one other point, how come Nurses and patients are allowed to smoke at the entrance when people has to walk thro the smoke to enter the hospital???

4th September 2020

After minor surgery in day unit I had to be admitted again the following day with high temperature, very swollen face and rash. I was kept overnight at Neville Hall Hospital and being treated intreveniously with fluid, antibiotics and pain meds but due to the cause of my problem I had to be moved to The Gwent by ambulance to Surgical ward SAU. When arriving I was put in a room with various patients in a chair for several hours. Nobody would give me any info or timescales as to when I was getting a bed. Why bother moving me when they didn’t have a bed? When I saw a consultant he wasn’t sure what I was dealing with. I was told someone would arrive from surgical team but never happened. I had no help, advice, hospital was far from clean. I can’t give any positive comments about my stay and I would never stay at this hospital again.

16th August 2020

Was told three separate times on the phone by a member of the ane staff tht I must bring my son down to have his infection seen to only to bring him down and to have him told it's not an emergency a waste of time you coming down the boy is in absolute agony with this infection that has open wounds bleeding and full of pus when will it be an emergency when it develops into sepsis poor attitude on your staff try retraining

28th July 2020

My son suffered acute appendicitis and required its urgent removal. Everyone we met were, without exception, professional and kind and took time to talk through every step of the process. At 17, my son could have been treated as an adult or a child and the hospital admitted him to paediatrics B5 to allow me to stay with him. This is a wonderful, wonderful hospital with amazing cleaning staff, nurses and doctors who cared for us both as if we were family. Thank you Royal Gwent.

23rd June 2020

I went into the qwent on the 22nd June and was in over night. The staff there was unbelievable day and night staff . Everyone was so kind and helpful, the hospital was so clean that it made the hole experience so much easier. The staff was going above and beyond to help everyone and can't thank them all enough.

{{category}} working at Royal Gwent Hospital ({{entities.length}})

Short link to review Royal Gwent Hospital: http://iwgc.net/eb4us