Royal Edinburgh Hospital

Morningside Terrace, Edinburgh, Scotland, EH10 5HF

17th November 2019

Went in for a mental health assessment, was left waiting alone in a room for what felt like an hour. Finally brought into a room with 3 people who asked me some questions then decided that by staying overnight to get some support, (in their words) ''i'd just be hiding from the problems'' I was dealing with. What an awful place to turn people away in a time of need, I guess you have to go in with bleeding wrists or something for them to take you seriously. Try the crisis centre on Leith Walk instead, you'll be treated with respect.

19th October 2019

I have had many an experience with the drop in centre at royal ed. Each time was draining. I took my son on four occasions and each time we had to wait up to four hours in the front of a building with people walking by staring and commenting. No privacy, no facilities to get a drink, nothing. Eventually someone comes out and asks you to go home and return tomorrow or they move u to an other room to wait for more hours. It took me a long time to decide to go there after a recommendation from crises centre. Each time was the same. Awful treatment, awful setup. The mental health system is shocking I had no idea just how bad it was and I work in social care. I also took my sister who was at rock bottom and the same procedure, only this time we left as her kids were left at home for hours as we waited to be seen for four hours. Not a good setup. My sister was home for a year and a half with family caring for her every need until finally sectioned and spent 8 months in royal ed. She managed to sustain three fractures during her stay. She has been home now for four months and depression has returned. What to do I ask myself. Have her go back to a place where people don't or can't care. Where's the support of aftercare. I feelI got more support from the voluntery sector than NHS. It's a frightening situation. Staffing levels so poor and so many sufferers. My sister was left so long as she had a supporting family. It made the job easier for mental health team. My confidence with this place is not good. I would not recommend but we don't seem to have a choice. It seems like the only option and we caring family members should be grateful.

21st July 2019

Awful experience with MHAS. I attended for assessment as I was feeling suicidal. After waiting about an hour in a waiting room with a number of people in a member of staff came out and asked to speak to me out in the corridor. He proceeded to ask me why I had come for assessment and he did this in a busy corridor where there were people walking past! After telling him how low I was feeling he said there were another two people in front of me and it would probably be at least another 2 hours before I was seen so I could either wait two hours or just come back tomorrow. It had taken me so much to even get myself to the hospital in the first place and then to be told you may as well just come back tomorrow. It made my mood even lower and if I hadn’t had my friend with me that night I probably wouldn’t be here today. She watched me overnight to make sure I didn’t harm myself and then I managed to see my GP the next day who did listen to me and help me. Total waste of time at MHAS. I didn’t mind waiting for two hours...but the attitude of the member of staff was awful. He was very dismissive and I felt very uncomfortable being asked to talk about my mental health condition in the middle of a corridor. Where is the respect and the dignity?

{{category}} working at Royal Edinburgh Hospital ({{entities.length}})

Short link to review Royal Edinburgh Hospital: http://iwgc.net/eb4uo