queens-hospital-1

Queen's Hospital

Rom Valley Way, Romford, Essex, England, RM7 0AG

1 2 3 4 5 252,446 reviews

13th September 2021

I was in A and E for 19 hours with suspected sepsis as I have cancer. The staff were waiting for me and iv antibiotics were put into me within minutes of arriving. The compassion, care and professionalism I received was second to none.

I would have liked to have been informed whilst in the first part of A and E. I was there for 8 hours and after the initial flurry of meds no one spoke to me until i was moved to majors.

Review of Outpatient Team 1,
13th September 2021

Excellent out patient service friendly informative helpful nurses and consultant

On today's treatment. No

13th September 2021

I arrived at the urgent care unit at midnight with severe arm pain, the inability to move my shoulder and loss of feeling in my hand ( which later transpired to be because my vaccine had been injected directly into my shoulder joint causing an inflammatory response which froze the shoulder). The first nurse who checked my vitals barely grunted at me - the only word he said was MOUTH to take my temperature. I was then told to sit and wait in a chair with no explanation which I did for 30 minutes before a second nurse could check me in - she was politer but again barely communicated with me before telling me to check in to the urgent care unit. I did so by yet another rude member of staff before being told to wait on another chair with no further information. I waited in urgent care in significant pain for 3 hours with no information whilst other patients were seen to before I then asked how long it would be. They said the doctor would see me anytime now yet no one came. Eventually a nurse beckoned me over and made me follow her before telling me I needed to go to a and e as there were more doctors there and I’d be seen quicker - I asked whether they’d be aware I’d been there 3 hours or whether I would go to the back of the queue and she said “it will be fine” before walking off. I went to a and e and couldn’t check in for 20 minutes as no one was on reception, I had to give all my details again and managed to see a triage nurse. She was the most patronizing unhelpful women I’ve had the misfortune of talking to and told me that vaccines cause arm ache and it’s a normal response - considering i literally couldn’t move my arm without screaming this didn’t go down particularly well but when she actually bothered to look at my arm she realized the vaccine had been put in my shoulder and there was an issue she took my details. She then told me there was a further 7 hour wait to see a doctor at which point I left the hospital. It is an absolutely disgraceful level of service and it’s a good job I didn’t have a more serious condition as I wouldn’t rate my chances. Luckily I had an emergency doctors visit the next day who supplied an appropriate diagnosis and medication. I’m appalled at the state of the nhs and it was an eye opening experience about the affects of austerity on this country.

Communication with patients about wait times and their condition, general politeness and decency, empathy, more staff, communication between units.

13th September 2021

I was in a and e for 8 hours given no information and treated like a problem when asked what was happening. After 7 hours man one seat away from me tested positive for covid. No one came to clean the area or advise us of the situation no hand wash in the toilet that the man with covid used frequently. After 8 hours finally seen by consultant who said ecg bloods ok but wanted to check my urine and asked for a sample (could I not of been asked for this during the 8 hours I was waiting. Have a sample that was then left on the desk next to 4 nurses who were busy talking and told to wait outside again. After hour an hour went to see what was happening and urine still on side next to 4 nurses talking, asked the doctor if it could be tested as I had already been waiting 8 hours and his reply was I TOLD YOU IT WOULD BE TESTED GO BACK AND WAIT. I then left the a &e after 8 hours as I was not going to be treated like that. No one to complain to they will wait a long time for me to clap them,

Talk to patients with compassion we don’t want to be there like they don’t want to be there. Ensure toilets have hand wash you keep saying you have a strain on the NHS you are making worse by little or no infection control a security guard on the door is not helpful if the hospital is not run properly. Carry out all test don’t wait after 8 hours to ask for another one. BRING BACK MATRON they will sort this mess out

13th September 2021

I gave these answers because they did not sort out my high blood pressure which I originally came in for. I flew out to Dubai and was diagnosed straight away given blood pressure tablets. I waited 11hrs on a hard seat feeling unwell and cold and sleepy. Only to be sent home the next day.

NHS should make things quicker, comfortable for patients being it that they are ill and should act quick in their diagnosis. After all they have come into a hospital because of a complaint in their health. If Conservatives are not going to make NHS better I think my family will vote for Labour next time.

13th September 2021

I spent 3 separate days in A and E a total of 22 hours . The triage nurse called me Murphy instead of Murray each day . On the 3rd day my notes got lost . They got things wrong didn’t listen to me when I corrected the nurse and the doctor . I was a number only. Inconvenient one . On arrival the staff chat away you have to wait until they finished their private conversations. As a patient you are not welcome . The hospital could do with a clean . Anti vac machine are not in suitable places . The uniforms look as if they’re been worn for days only one doctor look as if he had a fresh uniform on . I found the whole experience scary and unprofessional

Why doesn’t someone often walk around the hospital to inspect areas of neglect. Use test patients to give feed back plus photo evidence of poor service

13th September 2021

Generally excellent service but I was taken by a nurse into a ward with covid positive patients [Majors]. I don't have covid. I was there for about 5 minutes when the senior nurse got me out of there with haste. She then berated the supervisor of the nurse who as far as I could see didn't seem that fussed. This was Friday 10th September I woke on Monday 13th [today] with a sore throat and a cough. Not sure what that might be but have ordered a CPR test. On Sunday 12th I returned for a CT scan and was told by telephone call to report [as soon as possible] to Team 1 [opposite the pharmacy]. We did this, arriving about 11am and explained that we were there for a CT scan with contrast and the receptionist said we were in the wrong place, we confirmed that we had been told to report to Team 1 but she sent us to radiology. The receptionist in radiology asked if a canula had been fitted we said no so she said go back to Team 1. We did this and the team 1 receptionist said that we had to be triaged at A&E so that they could confirm that a canula was required. We went back to radiology and the receptionist then personally took us back to team 1 and explained that the nurses in room 16 normally inserted canulas. the Team 1 receptionist said that they were busy but the Radiology receptionist took us to room 16 anyway where there were 2 nurses with no patients and these 2 very efficiently inserted the canula and we were back at Radiology in a few minutes. The "jobsworth" attitude of the Team 1 receptionist was adding triage workload to the A&E department and delaying treatment. The hospital has enough work with out more being added on by administrative incompetence.

While waiting to be triaged I watched a cleaner remove a single use plastic waste bag from a litter bin. He secured the bag with a single use plastic tie and then replaced the bag with 2 single use bags. The use of plastic in this way is not sustainable. We went to treatment room 1 in majors and the tap was not turned off correctly because the positioning of the arms meant it fouled the duct panel at the rear. My daughter, who was with me said that she had been in the same room 2+ years ago and the problem was apparent then. Assuming it started at that point my calculation is that this represents the water from half an Olympic sized swimming pool which has been wasted. The financial cost will be about £2,000 but it is an unsustainable environmental cost.

13th September 2021

Absolutely horrible experience. Chaotic and messy place without staff. Nurses and doctors are trying to deliver some kind of care , but it’s impossible within the surroundings. The hospital is seriously understaffed ( to the point of endangering of patients’ lives), ambulance crew trying to admit patients for hours , totally wasting their time which could be used to attend to emergencies. It took about 4.5 hours to admit 89 year old to a cubicle in majors ward ( with the stroke symptoms!). The whole nightmare from arrival to the moment of being discharged from A&E took almost 14 hours.

Almost everything as this hospital is a place to avoid if possible!

13th September 2021

Good morning, I am writing to express my disappointment with the service I received at Queens Hospital, Romford. In all the years I have been going to the hospital, I must say that this is the worst hospital I have ever been to and I pray I never need to use this hospital ever again. I arrived at Queens at 7pm on the 6th of September. Firstly, your A&E triage Doctor (Russell I think was his name) was so horrible to me. He did not listen to any of the symptoms I told him I had and just concluded on what was possibly wrong with me. He the sent me to Urgent Care to waste my time and I was then sent to the Emergency Department (Major B). When I got to the Emergency department, I had to speak out, cry and voice out to a Nurse to help me before I was given IV medication and fluids. I eventually saw a nurse that was nice to me and treated me immediately because I was unwell. The service became even worse after I received IV antibiotics, painkillers and fluids. It was 8:25am and I was still sitting in your A&E, waiting for a doctor to see me. That is about 13hrs plus wait time. The usual A&E wait time is 4hrs!! How does this make any sense? Why would people that are unwell be subjected to such terrible service.

For a hospital this big, your processes need to be improved. While I understand that there are some unpredictable occasions, the attitude of some of your staff can also improve to help this situation. We were not actively communicated with, it almost felt like we were begging to be heard. Maybe have more doctors on night duty if you are able to recruit more.

13th September 2021

I gave this answer because the staff acted professionally,they directed me to the right place and informed me of what time I would be waiting to be seen, considering how busy it was in the department.I just wish some of the patients weren't so loud and complaining so much.Thank you for the care I received today,I would come back here again if needed.The Doctor was superb...

I just wasn't very happy with the long waiting time,but it's to be expected during the current situation,and staff aren't to blame,they cope as best as they can.It was also a shame the coffee shop wasn't taking card payments,I would have loved to eat or drink something while I was there.Or Maybe implementation of a vending machine.

Communication nurse

{{category}} working at Queen's Hospital ({{entities.length}})

Short link to review Queen's Hospital: http://iwgc.net/eb4r2