princess-royal-hospital
1 2 3 4 5 28,617 reviews Write a review

Princess Royal Hospital

Apley Castle, Telford, Shropshire, England, TF1 6TF

13th September 2017

Very little waiting time. Diagnosis swift and full explanation given with prognosis and treatment recommendations including risks and benefits.

27th August 2017

Wrekin unit After a terrible, unsupported labour (I've wrote previous terrible reviews of the ante natal and labour wards), I was transferred to the Wrekin. There was 1 midwife to cover the whole Ward, my son's tongue tie wasn't diagnosed, so I struggled to breast feed. The midwife wasn't able to support as 2 ladies were in labour. I've since been to the Spire Clinic in Manchester, paid £200 and advised not to cut the tongue tie as I had stopped breast feeding after the struggles I had. It took 5 hours for me to be discharged by the one midwife on duty. Care was so disappointing, not because of the midwife, but because she was on her OWN after the other midwife had been called away for most of the day! I was only discharged at 7pm because she returned. The midwife was fantastic, but unsupported and far too much paperwork. The examination of my baby was thorough (other than the tongue tie which she suspected but couldn't confirm). Overall disappointing as with the other 2 wards

27th August 2017

I was admitted on the antenatal Ward on 16/8/17 for a planned induction with my 3rd baby (1st in Shropshire). After the first gel did very little to my cervix, the midwife doubled the dose and inserted at 17.25. Fantastic midwife, experienced and highly skilled. Received no further internal exam. My husband left at 20.30 as instructed and at the time I was experiencing mild back ache, but no pain relief needed. I spoke to my new midwife (after shift change) at 21.00 and said that the pain was increasing but still about 3 out of 10 and she said that my next exam was due at 23.30. By 22.45 the pain was becoming harder to handle so I received 2 codeine and 2 paracetamol. At 23.00 my baby's heart rate was monitored and the brilliant midwife realised I was contracted quickly and in pain. When examined at 23.30 I was found to be 9cms. I was rushed up to delivery with the antenatal midwifeas NO delivery midwives were available. My husband was 40 mins away and due to my text at 23.30 and extremely FAST driving he managed to arrive at 00.00 and my baby was born at 00.06! After my plancenta was delivered - I was extremely worried about where the twin that I had lost at 13 weeks was and was told in a lovely considerate manner by the midwife who had delivered my baby. Still no delivery midwife available to stitch me and as I had a tear all the way down my birth canal I needed stitching. Finally at 03.30 I was stitched by a consultant (who had delivered 3 emergency babies in the time I had been lying on a bed) - by this point the numbing drugs DID NOT WORK and it was more painful than giving birth. I was told they didn't work, because I had been left too long. At Warrington with my 2 previous babies I was stitched immediately afterwards! Labour care there is fantastic and they were full too when I had my second son. I finally got to the Wrekin at 06.45 after lying on a hard delivery bed for nearly 7 hours, but at least I got a shower in the en suite rooms!! My antenatal midwife was amazing as was the consultant who stitched me and the midwife who looked after me and held my hand as I struggled to handle the pain of being stitched. Other than the codeine/ paracetamol I relied heavily on gas and air. Luckily I have a high pain threshold evidently as I got to 9cms on my own. I was dubious about having my baby at Telford after the bad press it has received and my experience supports this negativity. The staff are fantastic but there aren't enough midwives or beds . The care is stretched so thinly that I was overlooked, as was the last next to me who had been waiting 12 hours to go to delivery and the young lady opposite who was scared and vulnerable and in lots of pain!! I wish I could recommend Telford but I can't and if nothing g changes, more women and babies will be put at risk.

21st August 2017

I was seen in area so able time and was sent for an ECG. I did not have to wait but went straight in. Saw the Consultant again within 5 minutes. Excellent service. For once there was plenty of spaces in the car park. I feel that the car parking payment machine should give out change. Especially if you only have notes. You have to go to another machine to get change.

10th March 2017

I first went to A&E on 29/12/16. I saw the triage nurse soon after checking in,she confirmed that my wrist was broken and directed me to X-ray where I was x-rayed by confident polite radiologist. Then I was directed to the plaster room and my wrist was put into a temporary cast, and given an appointment to see a doctor within a few days (4/01). On my second visit the waiting was minimal. I checked in at the desk, was directed to X-ray before seeing the consultant who advised me of the course of treatment and time schedule. I saw the consultant again on 6/02 as directed, was x-rayed to confirm that the wrist was healing well, the consultant gave me a removeble cast, discussed phisiotherapy to do at home, made an appointment for a further check, today 10/03. I have just been for that meeting and everything has healed, movement is good, so I don't need to return for further physiotherapy in Hospital. I wil continue to excercise my wrist at home to strengthen it. Throughout the time at Princess Royal my husband and I have been treated with respect and in the best possible way. Everybody knew what to do and were very organised.