Eastbourne District General Hospital

King's Drive, Eastbourne, East Sussex, England, BN21 2UD

23rd June 2017

My 90 year old father was admitted over the Christmas period. He was seen by a total of 8 consultants over the 6 weeks. He was initially unable to mobilise until eventually after a PALS complaint he was given a walking frame that was too small for him. I then found this was being used by the patient in the next bed to him who had a D & V bug and NOT wiped before it was given back to him. He was treated without dignity or compassion by staff who changed every day with no continuity of care. He couldn't be seen by the physiotherapist until he was fit for discharge but as soon as he was fit for discharge he was sent home in a very frail state.

6th December 2016

My father was due to come home for a bank holiday visit after a long stay in hospital after a stroke - my mother had to go in every lunchtime to ensure he eat and I had to go in every evening to do the same. He fell out of bd the day before he was due to come home for a few hours over the weekend and subsequently DIED a few days later. When it was obvious he was passing soon we were told by the nursing staff - if they kept rolling him it might help him go quicker - disappointed with his care

6th January 2015

I spent Christmas Eve in A & E, having been taken there by ambulance in the early hours . The Drs and nurses were kind and efficient , and I was well cared for . I am sure they were busy , as I could hear lots of coughing coming from other patients. As a retired nurse , it is not easy to be on the receiving end of treatment , but I feel very grateful for the care and attention I received. I had to see my GP 3 days latter but he had not had any information about my visit to A & E, a passing remark he made sounded as if that was quite a usual occurrence . A paper copy given to me , would have been ok , I am sure . Thank you all for your help .

17th December 2014

Important information is often not in my notes. Communication to my GP is slow, if it happens. Waiting times for appointments and some tests are very long. There are many good, kind, caring and diligent staff who know what to do, but many seem to have abandoned hope. There are many things that this 'district general' hospital doesn't provide now: if you have appendicitis, need a hip replacement, or if you're a sick kid, or if you're having a baby, or you're having a heart attack you need another town. There's a whole corridor full of broken beds. I didn't enjoy being consented for day surgery within earshot of all the other patients on the ward, but at least I wasn't having a circumcision like the poor kid next to me. Doctors and nurses, you are good people, don't stop caring - its the most important thing. People can forgive poor facilities and cuts to services, but can't forgive indifference.

3rd February 2014

There are a great number of problems at this hospital. Lack of procedures leads to bad hygiene and there fore infections eg doctors not washing their hands between patients There is no leadership and the place flounders about with no cohesion. Communication is poor. When a patient arrives the staff also flounder They either do nothing or panic The attitude is Who are you? What are you here for? They find it difficult to do the job I do not know the reason for this but it not like this in other hospitals where we have been treated for similar conditions It could be due to lack of training or knowledge There is also another problem As no one admits the shortcomings nothing gets done We noted that when we needed to go elsewhere to get the clinicall care we needed we were refused. This is not right. if the staff cannot do the job then it is better to admit it and let the patient go rather than hanging onto them grim death causing resentment