BMI Ross Hall Hospital

221 Crookston Road, Glasgow, Scotland, G52 3NQ

Written by a private patient
22nd February 2021

I was in Ross Hall for a Hysterscope in Oct 2020 and thus following a Hysterectomy in Mid Dec 2020. The hospital is in need of updating particularly the rooms. They are very outdated however they are clean. I was given a room which was very noisy as the window had to be open for Covid rules and it was right on the front near the road and main carpark, not so great when in for three days. One of my night nurses refused to give me pain medication for existing back illness despite it being in plan and in the cupboard, it was given the prior night. I had to beg and still was not given it eventually with one of the two tablets thrown across my patient table. With a try to sleep, difficult after a major operation and when you have insomnia. I have had 3 UTIs since the operation and still suffering major pain with a partially blocked bowl to boot. Yes I needed the operation however care needs improvement and upon reading the reports from inspectorates it does need this at Ross Hall in a few areas. Despite all this the hospital does have some great staff and a proportion who go above and beyond, I just did not get consistentcy.

25th January 2021

I had TKR at Ross Hall in November 2020 spending 4 days as a self-funding patient. In spite of areas of excellence throughout my stay, overall the experience was depressing, disappointing and not what I expected from private care. Pre-admission and admission procedures were carried out efficiently; standard of cleaning throughout the stay was good; quality of food was no more than adequate, but the kitchen staff, along with anaesthetists and physiotherapists, delivered excellent care. My room was a very unattractive, tired space with a miserable outlook onto neglected looking buildings; the one shabby, old chair bore the imprint of posteriors. However, with a couple of exceptions, the overriding negative was the poor standard of nursing care. After surgery I was pressurised to have a catheter fitted even though I made it clear I needed a little more time to see if this could be avoided, which it was. On day 2 I felt very nauseous and was unable to eat anything for 24 hours. The following day this had eased so I anticipated having breakfast. By 9.15am, apart from early morning medication, there was no staff visit, no breakfast or change of water. I rang the kitchen bell and a very apologetic person said she had been told by the nurse that I should not have any food. This was definitely not the case, I heard the heated debate as the catering lady said I had not eaten the day before and she was not prepared to take the blame for the wrong instruction. On day 3 I was advised that a laxative would be given with evening medication. The next day I realised that this was not done and asked the nurse why. She checked notes, said they didn't have any and asked if I had my own, which I had. Her response was "that's fine then just take that". The physiotherapist advised me to use the ice regularly; not once was this offered to me and on requesting the pad I felt it was an imposition, with one nurse commenting that I had used it only a few hours earlier. Sadly, the majority of nurses came over as somewhat unprofessional, even in some cases, sloppy. On arrival home, late at night on day 4, I opened a letter from Ross Hall telling me I had missed an appointment (no previous notification) in Imaging and to contact the hospital which I did the following morning. Another inefficient, frustrating experience. It took several attempts, via other departments and listening to messages of the superb service delivered by BMI Healthcare, to speak to someone in Imaging. When querying the inaccurate assumption of a missed appointment, I was asked if I had an X ray the day after surgery which I confirmed. The response was "oh well that's fine". In summary, it seems that in spite of areas of efficiency throughout the hospital, there is a lack of training, supervision and control necessary to provide a satisfactory experience for patients.

9th January 2021

My surgeon Mr S Rajkumar was excellent in keeping me informed of all my surgery etc

22nd December 2020

I attended this hospital after being advised to immediately by my optician. I had noticed severe problems with the sight in my left eye and debilitating headaches. At the hospital the doctor, Dr Savides, ran some tests. I asked his opinion on whether the reduced vision in my left eye could have been contributing to these headaches, and received the unprofessional and ambiguous reply, "why do you think that?”... After the tests, his conclusion was "damage to the epithelial cells" which "may or may not" be treatable - inconclusive and unsatisfactory. When I asked the doctor what was likely to have caused such damage, he could not answer. He prescribed me eye drops and told me I would have them the following day. A week later, I still had not arrived them as the prescription had not reached my GP surgery... when they nee in all did arrive 10 days later, they were the wrong ones! I have since visited a second Consultant Ophthalmologist who reached to an entirely different conclusion to Dr Savides and was considerably more reassuring, clear and professional., I have also been to my referral appointment with a Corneal Specialist and they have confirmed this second diagnosis which will certainly not be treated with eye drops. An absolute shambles of a hospital and I would certainly not recommend. Stick with our NHS!

16th October 2020

This was overall a poor experience, and a very expensive mistake. My contact with the enquiry team gave me a false impression of what the hospital could offer. The consultant also had a poor patient manner. Frequently talked over me, made incorrect assumptions and unwilling to discuss alternatives. The whole appointment felt like a battle to be acknowledged.

{{category}} working at BMI Ross Hall Hospital ({{entities.length}})

Short link to review BMI Ross Hall Hospital: http://iwgc.net/eb3qg