Barnsley District General Hospital

Gawber Road, Barnsley, South Yorkshire, England, S75 2EP

11th April 2020

Barnsley a&e shocjing at times very out dated

6th March 2016

Took my father in today for an overnight stay ready for a procedure the next day. On arrival the receptionist glanced at the letter and directed us to Floor 2, off up in the lift we went, the doors opened and it was pitch dark (the Ward was shut). We were then directed to Floor 4 where we wandered around until a passing nurse ignored us when we asked where we should be! We eventually found a Nurse, who again glanced at the letter and informed us that my father would not be admitted today as it was Sunday and no day surgery was scheduled for a Sunday...I asked her to re-read the letter and following that she rushed us down the corridor to a seating area where we were told to wait whist she found a bed. On her return she jogged us down to a Ward (my father is quite infirm, has Parkinsons and is not the fastest walker!), on arrival at the Ward she turned to me and asked me my name and offered me the bed...by this stage my father was some way behind me. I pointed out to her that I was not the patient and we awaited the arrival of my rather bemused father. We were seated and the Nurse then asked ME what my father's name was... like he was incapable of answering! Once the preliminary questions were answered I was told I could leave. My father was extremely nervous and the treatment of him at this hospital today and Thursday last week (a day visit for a scan) has been unacceptable. Patient are not an inconvenience, it is your job to treat them with dignity and respect...perhaps this should be remembered! Also an indication of where you are supposed to present should be included in the appointment letter...our elderly are not contenders for "Challenge Anika"!

27th December 2015

I currently have treatment within women's services (Urogynecology)and find the nurse that deals with me particularly helpful. She works extremely hard and makes every effort to keep me comfortable whilst I have my regular treatment. If I make recommendations regarding my treatment, she will follow this up and feed back results in a timely manner. I am disappointed with the PALS service though. I have complained regarding paying for parking when I visit the hospital for a life long condition. I am aware that if I am not in receipt of benefits then I am not eligible for free parking... to me this is discrimination if someone who shares the same illness or similar and is in receipt of benefits doesn't have to pay. I do work but that doesn't make it a fair system and I still have to watch my expenses. I will continue to pursue this matter.

Written by
30th July 2013

After sharing my two extremely poor experiences with friends and family i only have received very negative responses. My first taste of b.d.g. Hospital was when my mother was admitted to a & e after a fall. She was given the wrong treatment and she subsequently died. The second was when my three year old grandson was diagnosed with a broken arm but was told to come back in five days to have a cast put on because there was no weekend staff and that this was the earliest appointment. When this decision was questioned the duty manager could nt understand why we thought this decision was disgusting.

{{category}} working at Barnsley District General Hospital ({{entities.length}})

Short link to review Barnsley District General Hospital: http://iwgc.net/eb3nw