Didcot Health Centre

Britwell Road, Didcot, Oxon, England, OX11 7JH

Also known as: Didcot Health Centre Practice

Practice group: Dr David Stainthorp and Partners

10th July 2019

Just a quick note to thank Dr Todman who is not the full member of this surgery, but she really was the first doctor to help me understand that my symptoms were depression, although I felt no grief or low mood, just extreme fatigue, dramatic loss of concentration and ill sleeping. But it is very hard to get the appointment, even for a follow up visit for more prescription, even if the diagnosis is already there. I am sure it is to save Doctors' time, optimize the communication and leave time for the other patients. And it is also because the system shows Dr Todman's appointments blocked to be booked and no possibility to unblock unless the patient has literally a breakdown over the phone (and I sincerely do apologize for that, I didn't want to cause any inconvenience with my mental state), because Dr Todman is not the full member of the surgery. And to be honest I was really in need to see the doctor who first diagnosed me. Alternatively you can have a phone call with someone else, my GP, which is great and the doctors I have visited in DHC are all fully professional. But it just gave an impression like you have to prove again you need medication, and there is absolutely no guarantee that you may or may not receive the medication (and the diagnosis that drives me anxious is already there). To be honest with my very vulnerable mood with medium to severe depression with a "moment" of worsening the symptoms I am having right now, having a quest to get my medication with 50% probability seemed so devastating, that I experienced unrest for a day, and I do apologize if I seemed unpredictable and extremely upset over the phone, and I understand completely that the doctors are fully booked. But for the patients with vulnerable mood maybe it can be done easier a little if the diagnosis is already there? Thank you very much in advance for help anyway, as always! I understand it is all done according to the rules of communication with patients for the best and quickest advice, and not to get patients for no reason to the surgery, it's just some mental states per definition are bad for pursuing your goal no matter the obstacles. Thank you again!

6th June 2019

I have always had excellent service from all the receptionists and hitherto from all duty doctors, as well as particular GPs. I have a complicated medical history, which has included Hodgkin's Disease (done with) and phobia ( re doctors and medical tests), and my husband has Parkinson's Disease. I have recently come off medication for anxiety, taken in one form or another for 36 years, and prefer this even though I am a bit low and bad-tempered. But I have had an experience with a duty doctor today which has shaken me considerably. I have been trying to treat myself for a probable vaginal infection for the last 3 weeks (having used a self-test kit for diagnosis), and am aware that I can produce psychosomatic symptoms when under stress. In great discomfort today and conscious of rapidly rising anxiety levels, I (easily) obtained a phone appointment with the duty doctor. She sounded very nice, and, having worked out what to explain in advance to aid brevity, I explained a) the symptoms b) my own treatment c) why I thought stress might be exacerbating the symptoms. (It seemed to me that I needed a physical exam.. just to see what was going on.) She explained I would have to make an appointment a swab by a nurse ( fine) and then her prescription ( also fine). But when I asked if that were possible this afternoon, she replied with some impatience that a) we had been talking about this for 5 minutes (said twice) and b) that she was not a receptionist. Before I got too upset, I put the phone down. I have every sympathy with an overstretched duty doctor dealing with an unknown patient with a minor (though painful) complaint, who probably overwhelmed her with information. But I have never been spoken to like that by a doctor before and was really upset.....in fact, still shaking. An extremely kind receptionist explained that the first available appointment for seeing a nurse to get a swab was June 19th. In my experience, female doctors usually listen very carefully to, and grasp quickly, what the patient is trying to say or obtain. This one simply produced the "usual" procedure without investigating further whether more might have been appropriate. (I am not naming the doctor.) By great good fortune, I have an appointment with my own GP next Tuesday. But this means 4-5 more days of discomfort while trying to be cheerful for my husband. I know this practice is doing its best when overstretched, and am always grateful for good care. This incident, however, has been most distressing.

31st May 2019

I called to get an emergency appointment and the receptionist was very helpful and booked me in with a paramedic. Hailey the paramedic was friendly, reassuring and thorough. She discussed my issues with Dr Reed to get a second opinion and then they got me in to see Dr Reed also to discuss in more detail. Dr Reed was incredibly knowledgeable and understanding, providing me with lots of information on my newly diagnosed chronic condition. I then saw a nurse to have blood taken and sensing my dislike for needles she went out of her way to distract me whilst undertaking the procedure. I am so grateful for the support and really felt that the surgery went above and beyond for me yesterday when I was feeling so unwell. Thank you.

12th February 2019

I had a pre-booked phone call appointment with a doctor. They phoned in only once and got through a voicemail straight away because I was on the phone. The voice message said I had to call again to arrange another appointment... WHY? I know doctors only phone once, but at least get a phone call. We as patients can not keep our phones on hold the entire half day we are scheduled to receive a phone call... So you have wasted me another 10 minutes to phoneand arrange another appointmeent, wasted the receptioning 5 mins. Receptionist was incredibly RUDE and did not listen at all to me story. To her the duty doctor had to make 50 call a day and only ring once... I did not book an appointment with the duty doctor, I booked in advance. Considering changing surgery after this, mostly brought to aggrevations by the receptionist.

{{category}} working at Didcot Health Centre ({{entities.length}})

Short link to review Didcot Health Centre: http://iwgc.net/ecbzw