Davenport House Surgery

Bowers Way, Harpenden, Herts, England, AL5 4HX

21st December 2016

My experience with Davenport surgery is not good. The staff at reception is mostly rude, doctors take days to write a prescription, my blood tests results went lost, my kids were given the wrong dose of antibiotics twice. Also, they dont seem to realise that some of their patients work and can't spend hours on the phone to chase them for a prescription that they need. I find it very inefficient and unhelpful.

14th April 2014

My comment relates to the new online system which i use on a regular basis to order repeat prescriptions. Firstly, as a regular user of the system, i have received no communication to tell me the system was changing and that i would have to re-register for the new system before i was able to use it. Consequently when i have gone to request a repeat prescription (which i obviously will need within the next 48 hours) i have been asked to fill out an online registration form which asks for info i don't have - Patient Id and Registration Token. When i called the surgery, i was told i would have to come into the surgery to register and provide a photo id !!!!! It's Friday today and if i can't get into the surgery today (which will require some reorganisation as i work in London), the earliest i can get into the surgery is Monday which means i will be without a repeat prescription for a further 48 hours. Had the surgery informed me earlier i could have dropped into the surgery at a convenient time and would have been able to use the new online system this morning. It's the age of email and the internet - the old system would have had a record of frequent/all users - did no one think to inform them by email? And then to compund the issue the woman who answered the phone was about has helpful as a chocolate fire guard - she didn't ask whether i was able to get down to the surgery (what if i was immobile) nor did she offer me an alternative solution! Not impressed at all. PS - this form is a pain too - they want the Date of last appointment - Why ???? I can't remember

17th July 2014
Response from Davenport House Surgery

I am sorry you have experienced problems with the new on line prescriptions and appointment booking system. The decision to change systems was not made lightly but is in line with Government policy. We did prominently advertise the change on the website page where prescriptions were ordered for 4 months before making the change over. The new system has many advantages not only for ordering medication: it also allows patients to book, check and cancel their appointments on line. In future it will allow patients to check test results and see their medical history. This ability to see confidential information means that we have a responsibility to ensure we only give access to the patient thus we ask for photo identification. I am not clear why you felt that you needed to put in the date of your last appointment as the form only asks for your full name, address, date of birth and email address. On this form we also ask permission to email and text patients and we use this means of contacting patients once permission is given. I note that you have difficultly coming to surgery but we are open from 7am on all days bar Monday and also the 2nd Saturday of every month. For housebound patients we are happy to sort the system with a relative or carer and post the necessary paperwork directly to the patient. Finally where patients have forgotten to order medication in sufficient time we do offer to a telephone call with a GP so that they do not go without their medication.

23rd April 2014

As an asthmatic I am a regular prescriptions user. I object extremely to being forced to use a new online system for prescriptions which requires me to print off a new form, fill it in and bring it with Photo ID to the surgery before I can register to place my request for an updated script for something I'm on daily and have been on for years. Is this patient first? I think not. This system is symptomatic for much of what is wrong with the NHS (decided centrally for anyone else's convenience except the patient!!!

17th July 2014
Response from Davenport House Surgery

I am sorry that you are obviously frustrated by the change to our system. The change will bring about improvements in patient's access to their medical history, allow on line appointment booking and eventually access to test results. Due to the nature of the information you will be able to access we do need photo identification to ensure that only you can access your records. For those that prefer not to use computers prescriptions can be ordered via phone to a local chemist, by post, fax and in person. When we change systems in surgery we do talk to our patient group to try and ensure that changes are in the patients' best interest and where possible we will make changes to systems when patients let us know that they are not working smoothly.

12th June 2014

I have not had any positive experiences. I now have meet three different doctors. The first two doctors I have found to be rather cold and unfriendly. One of the doctors even said 'please make another appointment as I will not have time with my own paitients'. What does that mean? My second unpleasant experience is the time delay in getting perscriptions and administration delays. The latest, script request 19th May 2014 just going today to Boot's High Street.

17th July 2014
Response from Davenport House Surgery

Thank you for leaving feedback. I am unsure as to why your prescription has taken so long to process. For repeat medication that is, ones that the GP has agreed you can have on multiple occasions without a review, the turnaround time is 2 working days although those sent electronically can be processed within the day. For medications that have either run out of repeats or are not on the repeat system the process is different. Generally doctors need to see a patient before these can be reissued so that they can review their care and ensure that the medication is still appropriate. However, occasionally the GPs are happy to reissue and so these requests are sent to your doctor for review and a decision; this can take several days. For a prescription to take 3 weeks to get to the chemist is highly unusual but without more detail I cannot identify the problem. In terms of your experience with the doctors I would be happy to talk to you and feedback your comments to the GPs involved: I suggest that you contact me at the surgery.

Efficiency

Caring

Nursing staff

29th May 2012

The new surgery is a little too clinical but I'm sure it makes better use of the space available. Unfortunately there appears to be very little available to 'entertain' younger patients. There is a bead frame upstairs but downstairs only a few books mixed in amongst the magazines. I feel this should be something that would benefit from improving. I understand that a neighbouring surgery has a play house. Other than this the facilities are very good