Hydroxocobalamin

Hydroxocobalamin is a man-made injectable form of vitamin B12 used to treat low levels (deficiency) of this vitamin. Vitamin B12 helps your body use fat and carbohydrates for energy and make new protein. It is also important for normal blood, cells, and nerves. Most people get enough vitamin B12 in their diet, but a deficiency may occur in certain health conditions (e.g., poor nutrition, stomach/intestinal problems, infection, cancer).

This medicine is available:

From a pharmacy

2nd December 2016

Have the injection every three months now.Keeps levels witin normal range although I feel if you at lower end of marmal range could still have symptoms. Injection not painful at all.

20th November 2015

I have injection every four weeks as neuro symptoms return before the recommended 3 monthly injections.

1st February 2015

I struggled for years to lead a normal life and was misdiagnosed with ME and dementia. These injections have given me back my life but severe fatigue and neurological symptoms still return before the next treatment is due. More frequent injections would relieve the fear of a relapse and being unable to cope again. It is difficult to understand why such vital treatment is not more readily available.

27th January 2015

I have been receiving hydroxocobalmin injections for a vitamin B12 deficiency for 10 months now. Without a doubt, the injection improves my B12 deficiency symptoms, however the current treatment regime offered by most GPs is wholly inadequate. The current guidelines are 3 monthly without neurological symptoms and 2 monthly with neurological symptoms. I would say that even after 10 months of treatment, my neurological symptoms are back within a matter of days following an injection. I would say at best that I feel the benefits for a maximum of 5 days, and yet am supposed to wait several weeks for my next injection, all the while feeling worse with each passing day. In order to manage until my next injection, I am forced to supplement with sublingual B12 and oral B12 spray. So, while the injection itself is very effective, the frequency with which it is provided prohibits me from getting much benefit from it. It is time that patients were offered treatment (ie hydroxocobalamin injections) at a frequency that means their symptoms are properly addressed and improved. Doctors need to start listening to patients, to stop insisting that one injection every 3 months is adequate and to (be allowed to) treat patients according to symptoms. This is, without a doubt, a case of when one size definitely does not fit all. Oh, and you definitely can't overdose on vitamin B12. I wish people would stop trying to tell me that you can! These injections need to be available for patients with a much greater frequency than currently. The harm done to patients by not treating them adequately is not a risk that people nowadays should have to take.

25th January 2015

In the process of asking for more B12 injections than one per three months as this has helped but is not enough to sustain a normal functioning way of life. Patience we have but sanity is wearing thin. Fingers crossed for more understanding within the NHS.