Hydroxocobalamin

Hydroxocobalamin is a man-made injectable form of vitamin B12 used to treat low levels (deficiency) of this vitamin. Vitamin B12 helps your body use fat and carbohydrates for energy and make new protein. It is also important for normal blood, cells, and nerves. Most people get enough vitamin B12 in their diet, but a deficiency may occur in certain health conditions (e.g., poor nutrition, stomach/intestinal problems, infection, cancer).

This medicine is available:

From a pharmacy

13th June 2017

My elixir of life! I have been having these injections for nearly 25 years having been diagnosed with Pernicious anemia in my early 30's's. They give me the boost I need and I always know when I get to about two weeks before my dose is due, I get very tired. The more you have them the more they seem to give you discomfort when the liquid goes into the arm. Before I was diagnosed i spent two years telling my doctor I was exhausted all the time, I was told what did I expect, I was a mum to two children and worked, it was only because when trying to donate blood they could not take it, that further tests were carried out. I recommend this injection. it keeps me going.

2nd December 2016

Have the injection every three months now.Keeps levels witin normal range although I feel if you at lower end of marmal range could still have symptoms. Injection not painful at all.

20th November 2015

I have injection every four weeks as neuro symptoms return before the recommended 3 monthly injections.

1st February 2015

I struggled for years to lead a normal life and was misdiagnosed with ME and dementia. These injections have given me back my life but severe fatigue and neurological symptoms still return before the next treatment is due. More frequent injections would relieve the fear of a relapse and being unable to cope again. It is difficult to understand why such vital treatment is not more readily available.

27th January 2015

I have been receiving hydroxocobalmin injections for a vitamin B12 deficiency for 10 months now. Without a doubt, the injection improves my B12 deficiency symptoms, however the current treatment regime offered by most GPs is wholly inadequate. The current guidelines are 3 monthly without neurological symptoms and 2 monthly with neurological symptoms. I would say that even after 10 months of treatment, my neurological symptoms are back within a matter of days following an injection. I would say at best that I feel the benefits for a maximum of 5 days, and yet am supposed to wait several weeks for my next injection, all the while feeling worse with each passing day. In order to manage until my next injection, I am forced to supplement with sublingual B12 and oral B12 spray. So, while the injection itself is very effective, the frequency with which it is provided prohibits me from getting much benefit from it. It is time that patients were offered treatment (ie hydroxocobalamin injections) at a frequency that means their symptoms are properly addressed and improved. Doctors need to start listening to patients, to stop insisting that one injection every 3 months is adequate and to (be allowed to) treat patients according to symptoms. This is, without a doubt, a case of when one size definitely does not fit all. Oh, and you definitely can't overdose on vitamin B12. I wish people would stop trying to tell me that you can! These injections need to be available for patients with a much greater frequency than currently. The harm done to patients by not treating them adequately is not a risk that people nowadays should have to take.