Professor Zoe Winters

Professor Zoe Winters is a Senior Consultant Oncoplastic Surgeon. She is an experienced, highly regarded, nationally recognised breast surgeon specialising in the diagnosis, management and treatment of breast cancer and overall quality of life. Specialist areas of work are; Breast cancer and it's biology Breast health care Oncoplastic reconstructive surgery Oncoplastic breast conserving surgery Therapeutic Mammaplasty Mastectomy Sentinel lymph node biopsy Breast pain Brast lump investigation Cancer tests Nipple discharge Family history patients Intra-Operative RadioTherapy (IORT) Breast reconstruction procedures include: Implant only (under the pectoral muscle or using an ADM) Back flap and implant Back flap tissue only (your own body tissue) Therapeutic Mammoplasty Clinical trials in breast surgery and oncology Chair of the European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC) Quality of Life in Breast Reconstruction subgroup Member of the board of the International Society of Quality of Life (ISOQOL) Chief Investigator in the development of the first European patient reported questionnaire in breast reconstruction called the BRECON23

« 1 2 3 4 »

Written by a patient at The Lister Hospital
17th January 2020

Really good attention. Kind and understanding. Very knowledgeable. Felt safe under her care.

16th January 2020

Professor Winters explained everything very clearly and was happy to answer my questions. From the outset, I had confidence in her.

10th January 2020

This doctor did not make me feel listened to as a patient, but came across impatient and patronising. She recommended a gel to me for my breast pain, and when I asked what I could do if this didn't work, she kept referring to clinical studies proving its efficiency. As I had to repeat my question, she eventually asked me if I had knowledge of how randomised drug trials work in a way I felt was confrontational. The second medication she recommended as an option, I am not comfortable to use as it potentially has severe side effects. Hence, I asked her again what my options were. She explained this to me, and why the cause of the pain wouldn't be investigated, and told me she had other patients to get to as I repeated my question due to still not having an answer to my question. I tried to understand from her what this practically meant for me, a patient in daily pain, and I felt her demeanor was arrogant and quite rude. If these symptoms persist for me and I knew I'd have to see her again, I would do my utmost to go elsewhere as I found the experience very unpleasant and uncomfortable. The rest of the clinic staff I interacted with was warm, friendly and very professional.

18th January 2020
Response from Professor Zoe Winters

I am sorry to hear about your personal views, however shared decision-making between the patient and doctor requires the patient to be open to listening and being receptive. Breast pain is no longer defined as a disease of the breast and unfortunately there are no magic bullets regarding how best to manage breast pain. Clinical trials and national guidelines help doctors to provide best advice. The advice I was trying to share is based on international patient studies. I wish you all the best and I hope that you do refer to our discussion as this would be in your best interest.

5th January 2020

Professor Zoe Winters has a very down to earth approach and makes you feel calmer. She is very thorough in making sure everything is checked and suggested I had a genetic test given my family history of ovarian cancer which can be linked with a rare type of breast cancer.

4th December 2019

At a quite worrying time of my life Zoe Winters couldn't have been more reassuring. She explained everything very clearly in a friendly and sympathetic way. The operation went well and I have only a small scar. At the follow up appointment, again, explanations were clear and reassuring. I have no hesitation in recommending this lovely lady at all.

« 1 2 3 4 »