Professor Adrian Wilson

Globally recognised Knee and Sports Injury Specialist practicing privately in London, Berkshire and Hampshire. Professor Wilson specialises in all aspects of soft tissue and reconstructive knee surgery and has pioneered techniques to improve treatment for sports injuries to the knee. He has developed a number of evidence-based techniques which include new, minimally invasive procedures for knee realignment (osteotomy) and anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) repair. This includes a minimally invasive technique to treat anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injuries in children that has a fast recovery time and excellent long-term results. Most recently, he has introduced Adipose Tissue Therapy, often used alongside other surgery, which harnesses the body’s own natural repair cells to help reduce pain and increase activity levels for patients with arthritis. Professor Wilson regularly performs live surgery at major meetings and runs surgical training events including The Knee Osteotomy Masterclass, a two-day workshop held annually.

« 1 2 3 4 »

20th March 2019
Written by a patient at BMI The Hampshire Clinic

As I had osteomyelitis as a child and numerous surgeries thereafter, including lengthening of the leg, I started to suffer from knee pain about 6 years ago. This got gradually worse and I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis. In the last year before the surgery, I was unable to walk downhill unaided, to walk downstairs without holding on to a handrail and suffered from pains in the whole leg during the night. Also, my range of movement was limited and the knee was very stiff after longer periods of sitting in a chair at work, for example. Once I had been referred to a knee-specialist, he suggested that I might be the ideal candidate for an osteotomy which would be carried out by Prof Wilson. After several meetings and conversations with Prof Wilson, where the procedure, after care and likely outcome were thoroughly explained, I decided to go ahead with the surgery. My expectations before the treatment were for me to be pain-free - these have not only been met, they have been exceeded: my knee is no longer bent, my range of movement has increased significantly, Prof Wilson was able to reduce the difference in my leg length by a further 7mm, I am no longer waking up during the night due to pains in my leg and my leg feels stronger. I am hoping that once the metal plates have been removed, that this will further increase strength building and range of movement. At the moment, I strongly feel that this will indeed be the case. I did a lot of research after I was told about this treatment and Prof Wilson himself provided extensive information and weblinks to look into the subject as it isn’t a small procedure. As my osteotomy was carried out on the femur, the recovery process was longer than I expected and it took at least 6-7 months until everything was back to normal. Prof Wilson provided thorough information into the whole process of the surgery, the results that have been achieved and what to be expected during recovery. He was always happy to answer any questions I had and was available either for face to face meetings or (video) calls. I was provided with a lot of information, weblinks, case study results and other data before committing to the surgery. Before and after the surgery, I felt thoroughly looked after and was given Prof Wilson’s email address if I had any questions or worries during my recovery. I did not have to make use of this but just knowing that I could was hugely comforting. I did not expect to be completely pain free but the fact that I am, together with the other benefits I gained with the surgery, make me very, very happy!

15th March 2019
Written by a patient at The Wellington Hospital

In 1979 playing football I sustained a heavy impact injury on my right knee and the post cruciate ligament was ruptured. This was treated non-operatively. In 1992 I had my first arthroscopy on the right knee and then subsequently on both knees in 2004. During this period I was playing tennis on a regular basis but was still suffering from pain in the right knee. The arthroscopies provided temporary relief but the problems persisted. In 2011 I consulted a different knee surgeon as the surgeon who had undertaken the previous arthroscopies had since retired – and was advised not to undergo any further surgical intervention at that time. Since 2011 the pain in the right knee became progressively worse and rather than being only occasional the pain became fairly constant and more intense. Fortuitously on searching the internet for recommended specialist knee surgeons I located Professor Adrian Wilson. My first appointment with Professor Wilson was in January 2018 at which he outlined all the various options, from the very conservative to the ultimate option of having a knee replacement. Following a MRI scan and long leg x-rays the preferred treatment option was advised to be a high tibial osteotomy of the right leg which would in essence realign the tibia bone so as to relieve the pressure – and pain – on the right knee. In July 2018 Professor Wilson undertook the high tibial osteotomy together with an arthroscopy at the Wellington Hospital. Following the operation I utilised the “Game Ready” machine for a month to promote recovery. I have seen Professor Wilson for follow-up appointments and he is very pleased with my progress. My understanding is that one of the advantages of having an osteotomy operation is that the knee structure itself remains intact so that such an operation does not prevent future possible other treatment for the knee if so required. My operation has been a great success and my only regret is that I was not referred to Professor Wilson many years ago.

3rd March 2019
Written by a carer at The Portland Hospital

16 year old Max from Winchester played basketball and rugby at a high level until he experienced a serious and complex knee injury during a rugby trial in late October 2018. His parents immediately took him to see a physio and she strongly suggested an MRI scan. They received the results from the scan via the physio who informed them that Max had a serious and complex knee injury that would require surgery as soon as possible. Max was taken to see Professor Wilson in Ascot and after studying the MRI images he recommended that Max needed several procedures to resolve his injury and avoid further complications in the future. The operation took place in December 2018 at Portland Street Hospital where the staff could not have been more helpful. The operation was more complicated than was expected, but it went really well. Afterwards, Professor Wilson clearly explained everything he had done during the operation. Following the operation, Max was regularly reviewed by Professor Wilson who liaised with Max's physios in Winchester to ensure the best possible outcome during rehabilitation. Max's recovery has been outstanding so far and there is no doubt that this was due to the early and highly skilful intervention by Professor Wilson. Moreover, the post operation rehabilitation package had been fully joined up between Professor Wilson and the physios in Winchester to ensure Max's recovery is as quick and sustainable as possible. Max's recovery is exceeding expectations, the help and advice Max and his parents have received has been brilliant.

26th February 2019
Written by a carer at BMI The Hampshire Clinic

My son injured his knee skiing at the age of 12. An MRI suggested that he had torn the medial ligaments, had significant bruising to the bone and had damaged the ACL albeit that it wasn't completely ruptured. Professor Wilson was recommended by a friend who is a knee surgeon in Warwick and from the outset we had great faith in his knowledge and abilities. He recommended a device that applied cold compression to the knee and rest followed by a period of rehabilitation. Less than 6 months later without the need for surgery he returned to playing full contact rugby and has now been selected for the London Irish Development Squad with a fully functional knee.

7th February 2019
Written by a patient at BMI The Hampshire Clinic

From the first time I met Professor Wilson I felt confident with the information, diagnosis and recommendations he offered. Following his advice I opted to have a high tibial osteotomy on both legs. The first procedure on my left leg was carried out in December 2017 and my right leg procedure was undertaken in September 2018. Even though I am still recovering from my second procedure I am very pleased with the treatment and care Professor Wilson has provided and the results I have achieved, I was particularly impressed with his personal availability to me had I experienced any concerns post operation. In the event that I need further treatment for my knees in the future I would have no hesitation in consulting Professor Wilson and I certainly have no hesitation in recommending him to others.

« 1 2 3 4 »