prof-david-veale

Written by a patient at The Priory Hospital North London
7th October 2020

Always felt like I was fighting against him as he didn’t listen or seem to value my input. Very awkward man, no eye contact at all. Never knew if or when he would show up to talk to me, which was very difficult with my anxiety. I think this is probably more of a problem in an inpatient setting as outpatients will have booked appointment times. He made me feel uncomfortable and often invalidated my struggles, even questioning my ED diagnosis because I was no longer underweight. That said, I did come out of hospital a lot better than I went in, especially with regards to my OCD. His team and his method of exposure are fantastic and I can’t fault the quality of the OCD therapy I received (again, not from him but from his team) so he must be doing something right.

I am a Consultant Psychiatrist In Cognitive Behaviour Therapy at the South London and Maudsley NHS Trust and The Priory Hospital North London. I specialise in obsessive compulsive and related disorders (body dysmorphic disorder (BDD), health anxiety, and a specific phobia of vomiting) (emetophobia) and depression.