Mr Vipul Patel

I am a Consultant Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgeon with a special interest in the Shoulder, Elbow and Knee. I have over 15 years experience in Arthroscopic, Reconstructive and Replacement surgery. I offer treatment for trauma and sports injuries in my areas of interest. I endeavour to provide patient-centred care and strive for continuous improvement in my knowledge and skills.

2nd January 2017
Written by a patient at St Anthony's Hospital

In May 2016 I was knocked from my bicycle in an accident with another cyclist. My collarbone was broken into four parts. Following xrays at Epsom General A&E, Mr Nick Little (an orthopaedic surgeon at Epsom / St Helier) diagnosed and recommended that I should have an operation to insert a plate that the parts of my collarbone could be aligned and fixed to. The big advantages of this procedure are a relatively quick return to normal life and confidence that the bone will heal correctly. Unfortunately beds were not available for me to have this operation performed by Mr Little at St Helier hospital. I am fortunate that I have private health cover through work. Mr Little helped me investigate this option. He recommended I have the procedure done by Mr Patel, as Mr Little would not be available for another few days and he felt I should have the operation as soon as possible. I duly booked into Spire St Anthony. Mr Patel visited me before the operation, clearly explained the planned procedure and examined me, marking up the correct shoulder. Mr Patel was very calm, thorough and encouraging. At 42 years of age this was the first operation of my life; I was nervous of the anasthetic and operation. Mr Patel was very reassuring. Apparently the operation went smoothly and successfully. Mr Patel came to see me the next morning and approved my discharge from hospital. I spent 5 days recovering at home...feeling very sleepy and using the paracetemol for pain relief. I was able to go back to work (desk / office job) 6 days after the operation. My shoulder healed pretty quickly and I was driving within 10 days. Mr Patel recommended I use an arm sling. This was really good for first week or two, partly to rest my arm, but also to signal to others that I had an injury and they should not hug or bump into me! After a fortnight I used the sling less...not needing it at all when sat at my desk. Mr Patel arranged check ups for me 1 week after surgery, 30 days later, 60 days later and then at the end of December. Each time staff at St Anthony's took xrays and then Mr Patel met with me to discuss how I was doing and share his interpretation of the xrays and my healing progress. I have made a fully recovery from my accident and following operation. I took my return to cycling cautiously...doing first gentle rides 90 days after the op with no problems...and 'normal' mountain biking after 150 days. Overall I would highly recommend Mr Patel and the whole team involved in my care at Spire St Anthony's. Mr Patel was very thorough, very professional and always happy to take time to answer my questions and assuage my concerns. He is clearly an expert in his field and did a great job fixing my shoulder!

16th November 2016
Written by a patient at St Anthony's Hospital

A massive thank you to Mr Patel for helping me through this traumatic time and mending me. Mr Patel provided a great level of care, experience, knowledge, attention to detail and always very clear and precise. He never rushed and always listened to my questions and fears and offered an opinion and advice that I trusted. Thank you again.

9th November 2016
Written by a patient at St Helier Hospital

I found this doctor to be extremely helpful & kind & considerate. Therefore I would highly recommend this doctor to family & friends.

18th October 2016
Written by a member of staff at The Elective Orthopaedic Centre

I have known Vipul for almost 20 years. We have been colleagues for the past 15 years. Vipul is highly regarded by his colleagues, other staff, patients and their families. I would not hesitate to seek his help if I developed a shoulder problem. Richard E Field PhD FRCS(Orth) Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, St George's University of London Director of Research, South West London Elective Orthopaedic Centre Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, Epsom & St Helier NHS Trust President, International Society for Hip Arthroscopy

17th October 2016
Written by a carer at The Elective Orthopaedic Centre

I am writing on behalf of my mother to thank Mr Patel and his entire team for the outstanding job he did in restoring her right shoulder movement to normal. Before surgery (9 May 2016), my mother could not lift her right arm and do normal activities, like combing her hair for example. Her shoulder was very painful, day and night. She was woken up by the pain during night. My mother, 75 years old, was diagnosed with rotator cuff tear and she underwent arthroscopic repair. Mr Patel and all his team were very supportive and encouraged us throughout the operation process. Of course, the recovery was not easy, especially during the first weeks, when my mother had to wear the sling, but the physiotherapy worked very well. Now, after 5 months, my mother moves her arm normally and she recovered the strength. The operation changed her life! I do not have enough words to thank Mr Patel and his team for their support, professionalism and kindness and I wish them best wishes for continued success. I definitely recommend Mr Patel and his team – when we look back, we can say the operation was the only way to a normal life!

Short link to review Mr Vipul Patel: http://iwgc.net/eetu3