Mr Vipul Patel

I am a Consultant Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgeon with a special interest in the Shoulder, Elbow and Knee. I have over 15 years experience in Arthroscopic, Reconstructive and Replacement surgery. I offer treatment for trauma and sports injuries in my areas of interest. I endeavour to provide patient-centred care and strive for continuous improvement in my knowledge and skills.

24th July 2017
Written by a patient at Ashtead Hospital

At the age of 20 I had my first operation on my shoulder - it was the worst decision of my life and has caused significant problems since. I had a second operation at 22 to try and undo some of the damage of the first - it didn't have as good results as I had hoped. At 33, with an increasing level of pain in my shoulder, I sought further advice about how to improve my range of motion and reduce pain. On my first appointment with Mr Patel I was still very sceptical about using a further operation. Following a range of scans and consultations Mr Patel provided a clear and balanced account of the different options, outlining benefits and risks of each. His approach enabled me to make an informed decision about what would be the best route for me at this point in my life and I chose to undergo surgery. Following the operation rehabilitation has been a slow and relatively painful experience. But this is to be expected. Ultimately, the level of pain has decreased and the range of motion in a most planes of movement has increased. I still have a long way to go to achieve the improvements that I know (and Mr Patel has advised) will be possible. From my experience, I would highly recommend Mr Patel.

6th July 2017
Written by a patient at Spire St Anthony's Hospital

on 19th December I fell and fractured my shoulder. I was referred to the NHS Fractures Clinic on 23rd December and I was diagnosed with a 3 fragment fracture of the right proximal humerus involving the surgical neck and greater tuberosity . I was told I needed an operation but because of Christmas holidays, arranging this was difficult. I was referred to Mr Vipul Patel who saw me at short notice on 23rd December at St Anthony's Hospital. Having looked at my X-Rays he discussed my options, I was very anxious about having surgery but he assured me that because the damage to my shoulder was so extensive, in his opinion surgery would be worthwhile but I could let it heal naturally. He told me that there were risks involved with operations, but believed this to be the better option and the bones should heal in the right place and I should achieve a better range of movement ultimately and my posture would not be compromised. I had the operation at St. Anthony's on 3rd January 2017 and stayed overnight and was discharged with pain relief and exercises to do. My arm was in a sling for some weeks and initially it was very painful and I needed help with day to day activities, washing, showering etc. I found when I was in pain, doing the exercises relieved the discomfort. Although, when doing them it was a challenge, the more I did the better I felt so I persevered and very slowly, with check-ups with Mr Patel (to make sure everything was staying in place and healing) and regular visits to the physiotherapist I improved. By February I was able to wash and dress myself, by April I was driving and able to reach into cupboards and started back to Pilates(cautiously). I was discharged on 27th June and although I still cannot lift anything too heavy, week by week my strength is improving, I still have aches when doing the exercises but that is diminishing all the time. If, at any time, I think there is a problem, Mr Patel has told me to contact him. My recovery is exceeding any expectations I initially had and I am so thankful to Mr Patel for performing this complicated surgery (I have 9 screws in total and a metal plate) on my shoulder and the scar is very neat indeed!

12th June 2017
Written by a patient at Ashtead Hospital

Excellent bedside manners. highly professional and provided explanation of my condition and management in a very simple, easy to understand manner. was completely at ease knowing that Mr Patel would be performing my operation. Would highly recommend to my family and friends.

8th June 2017
Written by a patient at Spire St Anthony's Hospital

I had been previously treated by Mr Patel for a Distal Biceps tendon rupture simply because I needed my strength to continue my hobby as a sports coach. I had gone to St Heliers with the injury who basically sent me home with advice to take paracetamol and rest. I was in my early 60's then - maybe this was the reason. However, I had no hesitation in seeking a fix then for my arm and had complete confidence in Mr Patel's approach to the procedure. I was kept informed before during and after my hospital stay, and the follow up appointments were thorough and reassuring. On this second occasion, I injured my shoulder which necessitated a rotary cuff repair procedure. Again, no hesitation in seeking Mr Patel out for the operation. This was performed with keyhole surgery, minimising tissue damage and shortening recovery time. I was 66 then, and the recovery time was quite long. Extensive and thorough Physiotherapy was needed, and the physios work really closely with Mr Patel in achieving maximum strength and mobility as well as range of movement. I would say after 12 months I have around 95% of my original strength and ROM. I would have no hesitation in again being treated by Mr Patel, although I would hope I would stay healthy and fit enough not to need to.

2nd January 2017
Written by a patient at Spire St Anthony's Hospital

In May 2016 I was knocked from my bicycle in an accident with another cyclist. My collarbone was broken into four parts. Following xrays at Epsom General A&E, Mr Nick Little (an orthopaedic surgeon at Epsom / St Helier) diagnosed and recommended that I should have an operation to insert a plate that the parts of my collarbone could be aligned and fixed to. The big advantages of this procedure are a relatively quick return to normal life and confidence that the bone will heal correctly. Unfortunately beds were not available for me to have this operation performed by Mr Little at St Helier hospital. I am fortunate that I have private health cover through work. Mr Little helped me investigate this option. He recommended I have the procedure done by Mr Patel, as Mr Little would not be available for another few days and he felt I should have the operation as soon as possible. I duly booked into Spire St Anthony. Mr Patel visited me before the operation, clearly explained the planned procedure and examined me, marking up the correct shoulder. Mr Patel was very calm, thorough and encouraging. At 42 years of age this was the first operation of my life; I was nervous of the anasthetic and operation. Mr Patel was very reassuring. Apparently the operation went smoothly and successfully. Mr Patel came to see me the next morning and approved my discharge from hospital. I spent 5 days recovering at home...feeling very sleepy and using the paracetemol for pain relief. I was able to go back to work (desk / office job) 6 days after the operation. My shoulder healed pretty quickly and I was driving within 10 days. Mr Patel recommended I use an arm sling. This was really good for first week or two, partly to rest my arm, but also to signal to others that I had an injury and they should not hug or bump into me! After a fortnight I used the sling less...not needing it at all when sat at my desk. Mr Patel arranged check ups for me 1 week after surgery, 30 days later, 60 days later and then at the end of December. Each time staff at St Anthony's took xrays and then Mr Patel met with me to discuss how I was doing and share his interpretation of the xrays and my healing progress. I have made a fully recovery from my accident and following operation. I took my return to cycling cautiously...doing first gentle rides 90 days after the op with no problems...and 'normal' mountain biking after 150 days. Overall I would highly recommend Mr Patel and the whole team involved in my care at Spire St Anthony's. Mr Patel was very thorough, very professional and always happy to take time to answer my questions and assuage my concerns. He is clearly an expert in his field and did a great job fixing my shoulder!

Short link to review Mr Vipul Patel: http://iwgc.net/eetu3