10th March 2019
Written by a patient at Spire Hull and East Riding Hospital

After 25 to 30 years of sciatica & in the latter 10 years having numbness in my legs, I was eventually referred to The Spire Hospital in late 2017 by my GP. I first saw Mr Vasileios Arzoglou in early 2018 & found him to be a pleasant person & very easy to talk to. At last I had someone who understood about my back problems. I had a number of x-rays & scans which he explained would need a Lumbar Decompression (Laminectomy) operation on the L2 to L5 region plus a Pedicle Screw Fixation-Fusion & Interbody Fusion of L3 to L4 of my back. Due to my work commitments I was unable to have the operation until late 2018 which Mr Arzoglou happily agreed to. The operation took place late December & the care I received in all areas was impeccable. My stay was only overnight & I was discharged home the following day. Within a week I was off painkillers & now sciatica & leg numbness free. I have not been able to believe what a difference this has made to my life. Every week my muscles are getting stronger & I was back at work only 7 weeks after the operation. I cannot thank everyone enough at The Spire Hospital, especially Mr Arzoglou, for everything they have done for me.

24th February 2019
Written by a patient at Castle Hill Hospital

I was diagnosed with a slipped disc on the S1 L5 in November 2018. My symptoms first started as mild sciatica which then greatly increased in pain in July 2018 which resulted in me having MRI scans to determine what was going on and a referral to Mr Arzoglou. From first meeting Mr Arzoglou at Castle Hill I felt at ease and that finally there was going to be an end in sight to a very traumatic few months. Been aged only 31 and a primary school teacher, I had been off work for a few months already and my pain was not improving so I was becoming increasingly worried what was wrong with my back. Mr Arzoglou saw me very quickly after my MRI results, a matter of a few weeks, and spoke me through my options and my MRI scans. He outlined all the risks and was very understanding at my caution to go ahead with the surgery, however I am so pleased I listened to him and went with the surgery which he suggested. I am now 3 months into recovery and the pain is around 80-90% better. I have been abe to return back to work part time and am driving again without the agonising buttock pain. I still have numbers in my leg, which I am hoping still may return to normal in time, however I couldn't have asked for a better outcome from the surgery. The care I received was brilliant in Castle Hill on ward Nine and I would like to thank everyone on the ward. I had two follow up appointments with Mr Arzoglou and a further MRI scan and every time I saw him I felt in great hands. I am now receiving physio to strengthen my leg as this is still tricky for me but I am back at the gym doing steady exercise and I am able to walk further and with more pace everyday. I just hope I keep going from strength to strength. I am forever greatful to Mr Arzoglou and his team for everything they have done for me. I would not hesitate to go back to see them if I have anymore problems. He is a kind and caring surgeon who really listened to me and addressed my concerns and worries before the surgery.

16th February 2019
Written by a patient at Spire Hull and East Riding Hospital

Mr Arzoglou, is one of the most pleasant and friendly people I have ever met. At no time during the consultation did I feel under pressure to go ahead with surgery. After a very thorough discussion it was agreed we would not go ahead with the surgery. I think it was mainly my inability to come to terms with the potential outcome of the operation i.e the risks involved that lead to my decision. I will at some time probably have no choice in the matter if my situation deteriorates. I can only hope it is Mr Arzoglou that I see when that time comes. Thank you Sir for your time and patience with me at a very trying time. Kind regards, Ralph Ellis

12th February 2019
Written by a patient at Hull Royal Infirmary

Mr.Arzoglou treat me with dignity and respect and explained the options of complex spinal surgery verbally and in writing. He explained the different outcomes that may or may not occur during surgery. I myself made the choice to go ahead without any pressure and at no point was I pressurised either way. I am a lady in my early 70's and Mr. Arzoglou and his team have given me a good outcome in my mobility. When I saw him at outpatients I was shown the MRI scan taken in theatre and could clearly see how much improvement there now is with the spinal cord etc., He did not rush the consultation and explained clearly anything I asked. I might add that I am pleased to have my independence back. Without this surgery life would have been quite bleak. I do realise that neurology is a very busy ward and beds were constantly needed for emergencies. Through no fault of the ward, patients recovering well would have to be transferred to another ward , to enable emergencies to go ahead. I totally have full confidence in Mr. Arzoglou and his team. Needless to say my surgery has been successful and thankyou.

30th January 2019
Written by a patient at Hull Royal Infirmary

Great surgeon and his team, very helpful, and explained everything to me. Was pregnant at the time and very grateful for what they did for me, and also thanks to all staff ward 4/40

Short link to review Mr Vasileios Arzoglou: http://iwgc.net/ehlej