Mr Tony Kochhar

Professor Tony Kochhar is a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon specialising in Shoulder, Elbow, Upper Limb Surgery. He is also a Visiting Professor of Sports Science at the University of Greenwich, London. His practice is based around the principle that an early accurate diagnosis and prompt specialist treatment will lead to a faster recovery and return to work and sport. He regularly treats elite athletes and professional sportsmen and applies the same techniques to ensure all of his patients make the best possible recovery. He is an expert in keyhole surgery and minimally invasive techniques and uses only best practice and the latest techniques. Professor Kochhar completed his specialist training at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore, and then worked with some of the best shoulder surgeons in the world. He regularly lectures both nationally and internationally at leading shoulder conferences and training courses and continues to teach the latest techniques to trainees and fellow Consultants from around the country and internationally. He has also written articles in the national and international press.

• Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery

« 1 2 3 4 5 »

20th April 2018
Written by a patient at London Bridge Hospital

I had a long-standing issue with my shoulder which was previously treated by another consultant. I went to see Professor Kochhar following a recommendation from a concerned friend and I'm glad I did. At my first appointment he asked me the full history of my complaint and what treatment I'd previously received. He asked if I would mind sharing my previous letters and notes and as I didn't have everything his secretary obtained these from my previous consultant. I'd previously had an operation on my shoulder so was a bit nervous and sceptical. He reviewed the letters and at my next appointment, after my MRI, went through the letters and also my MRI with me. It looked like I had a long-standing rotator cuff tear which had fully retracted. By the sounds of it it had been there a long time even though my previous surgeon had apparently "repaired" it. I was a bit shocked. Professor Kochhar has been transparent with everything he's doing and has been happy to talk through things with me at every appointment (I've even emailed his office a few times after my appointments when things weren't clear to me and they have always responded promptly). I have had another operation but this time I know it's worked as I am on my way to a full recovery. I thought I would never be able to play tennis again but it looks like I might have another go this summer. There are lot of surgeons out there who want you to take their word for it - my advice would be to ask lots of questions and to make sure you are happy with any treatment you are having (why you're having it and what it can achieve). I got lots of information from Professor Kochhar's office (I even spoke with an anaesthetist weeks before my operation because I asked to). I wish I had done all this the first time around with my other surgeon.

20th April 2018
Written by a patient at BMI The Sloane Hospital

I wanted to write a quick review as I've just read some of the other reviews and my experience has been totally different to some people on here. I saw Tony after a referral from my GP. He diagnosed my problem (frozen shoulder) in the first appointment but told me he would send me for a scan to investigate further and make sure we had not missed anything. At my next appointment he explained to me exactly what I had and what the options were to fix it. He was calm and professional throughout and gave me time to think through what I wanted to do - he said I could let his secretary know when I'd decided and he would arrange everything. I opted for a hydrodilatation (I think that's what they call it) and this was relatively quick if a little painful. It did the trick though! I've had some physio and he's monitored my recovery to make sure I have got back to where I was before I experienced this problem.

5th March 2018
Written by a patient at London Bridge Hospital

Happy to leave a review. Had a carpal tunnel op which went very well. Quick op done under local, went home, immediately felt better. Well worth it.

3rd March 2018
Written by a patient at BMI The Sloane Hospital

Great experience - the whole team really looked after me, thank you!

15th February 2018
Written by a patient at London Bridge Hospital

I wanted to leave a review and just read the last one about someone having an injection for frozen shoulder which is exactly what I had, but with completely the opposite effect. I was diagnosed with frozen shoulder by my physio and referred to Tony, he recommended a steroid injection which he explained would be carried out under ultrasound guidance as it was more accurate. I had the procedure, which was painful but not as painful as my shoulder had been for ages. I had physio after about a week and then went to see Tony again. He has been very good at making sure that everyone related to my treatment has been talking to each other and that the physio and injection had worked. I am about 90% of the way there but everyone involved told me I would have to work with the physiotherapist and I'm grateful to them for setting my expectations. He did also tell me that it worked in most cases but in some cases surgery would be necessary. I'm actually really grateful it didn't need to get to that stage!

« 1 2 3 4 5 »