Mr Tobias Hammond

I am a consultant general & colorectal surgeon at Broomfield Hospital, Chelmsford, Essex. I also work at Braintree Community Hospital and Ramsay Springfield Hospital. I perform open & laparoscopic surgery for colorectal cancer, inflammatory bowel disease, diverticular disease and hernias. I have subspecialty interests in anal and pelvic floor pathology, and abdominal wall repair for complex hernias. I graduated from Liverpool University Medical School in 1998 . I became a member of the Royal College of Surgeons of England in 2003, and a fellow in 2011. I was awarded my certificate for completion of surgical training in 2012. During this time I worked as a senior registrar at St Mark's Hospital, Harrow (a national and international referral centre for intestinal and colorectal disorders) and a laparoscopic colorectal fellowship at Colchester General Hospital. Whilst training I undertook a 2 year period of full time research. I investigated the role of biomaterials in the management of parastomal hernias and anal fistulas. This culminated in a reasearch MD, awarded by the University of London, as well as the Colon & Rectal Disease Research Foundation Prize, by the Association of Coloproctology of Great Britain & Ireland (ACPGBI). I was also granted a travelling fellowship by the Coloproctology Section of the Royal Society of Medicine. I continue to enjoy publishing and presenting on my research areas of interest. I have been invited to review articles for the Lancet, British Journal of Surgery, Colorectal Disease, Techniques in Coloproctology and The International Journal of Surgery. I have co-authored chapters on anal fistulas for the 6th edition of Rob & Smith's Operative Surgery: Surgery of the Colon, Rectum and Anus, and for Anus: Surgical Treatment and Pathology (edited by R Cohen and A Windsor).

« 1 2 3 4 5 »

10th August 2015
Written by a patient at Broomfield Hospital

I would 100% recommend Mr Tobias Hammond, he's has a professional and easy manner that makes you feel that you are his only patient. I only had a minor procedure done at Broomfield hospital but felt informed and comfortable with his caring attitude. If I ever have the misfortune to need further surgery I do hope it is with him

23rd March 2015
Written by a patient at Broomfield Hospital

Mr. Hammond gave me confidence that my treatment would be successful despite the serious surgery that I had to undergo. He looked after me over and above my expectations and also made a point of talking to my wife at visiting times to reassure us.

17th March 2015
Written by a patient at Broomfield Hospital

I treated by Mr Hammond for a paraumbilical hernia (operation). The care and attention I received was superb and the surgery itself, excellent. I would have absolutely no reservation in recommending his services to anyone and am open to being approached for a reference if anybody would find that helpful.

2nd March 2015
Written by a patient at Broomfield Hospital

Dr Hammond has been looking after me for approximately five months I cannot speak highly enough of the care and attention I have received which was far over and above I was expecting. The support and care was tremendous everything was explained very clearly about tests etc and the operation I would be facing nothing was rushed and I would given complete reassurance. Dr Hammond and his team was with me and my wife all the way through this very emotional experience and this continued during my stay in hospital and even now three months after my operation, he has given me the confidence to move forward and I cannot thank him enough for his care and attention. I would highly recommend him. I whichand it is very reassuring to know

13th February 2015
Written by a patient at Broomfield Hospital

Whenver I have seen Mr Hammond not once have I felt he 'rushed' seeing me, even during his busy ward rounds. During my follow up appointment he took the time to answer all my questions and concerns in a way I totally understood (no medical jargon) and is someone you can feel at ease with immediately. Should I have the unfortunate need to see a consultant again, Mr Hammond would be top of my list.

« 1 2 3 4 5 »