mr-timothy-jones-2

16th November 2020

I would like to reach out all of you with my story. I’m 47 years old and I first started suffering from my hemifacial spasm when I was 21. Doctors originally told me that this could be treated with Botox injections or through brain surgery via a microvascular descompresión operation. At the time my spasm wasn’t too bad, I was young and a little scared and decided to proceed with the Botox injections. Over the years my facial spasm deteriorated. In the beginning it was just my eye then my cheek and finally my mouth too and by the end my facial spasm had become quite severe. At the age of 28 in 2003, I arrived in the UK and had a consultation with a neurosurgeon at St George’s. Again I decided that I still wasn’t happy going ahead with surgery despite a severe spasm and I continued applying Botox at St George’s hospital London until this year 2020. Last year I started to feel increasingly fed up with my spasm and decided that I didn’t want to live the rest of my life depending on painful Botox injections all over the right side of my face. I managed to get in contact with my old Doctor who used to apply my Botox , Dr Marion , a lovely French lady. She noted the severity of my spasm and explained that the Botox injections were starting to reduce in effectiveness and that they may stop working in the future. She recommended that I proceed with surgery and referred me to an extraordinary neurosurgeon Dr Timothy Jones. After my first consultation I left the clinic, I looked at my husband and said this time I’M GOING TO DO IT !! It’s time to rid myself of this spasm. It’s TIME ! Dr Jones gave me a very professional explanation about the benefits and risks but perhaps more importantly he gave me the strength and courage to proceed with the surgery. Having examined the scans Dr Jones was completely confident that he could fix my spasm. When I looked in his eyes I could see that confidence and I felt reassured that he could fix my spasm, that he could fix me. And he DID !!! He proved it !! On the 28th of September 2020 my surgery was done under the care of Dr Jones and it was a complete success! My spasm is finally gone !! And I almost have my symmetrical face back again ! I can smille like my 20 year old self again !! Having just met Dr Jones for my post op visit he told me that he had found my facial nerve and the blood vessel that had been pressing on it. He had used a new technique to test and ensure that he found the right facial nerve and could see the facial spasm when that blood vessel pressed on the nerve and how it stopped on removal. He wrapped the nerve and separated it from the blood vessel and here I am post surgery free of my spasm after 26 years! So finally thanks to Dr Jones and a successful surgery I’m free of Botox injections after 26 years of suffering. I don’t have enough words to thank him for the change he has made in my life, it really is an absolute miracle ! If you suffer from hemifacial spasm and you want to be free of this terrible affliction, I hope reading about my story helps gives you the confidence to proceed with the surgery and change your life just as it has changed mine!! It really is the best decision I’ve ever made in my entire life !! I can’t recommend Dr Jones highly enough and if perhaps you’re looking for a great neurosurgeon at the cutting edge of his field then you couldn’t choose better. He has transformed my life !! Thank you Dr Jones and his TEAM for ever !!! My family and friends are extremely happy as well that they can’t even believe it ! My best friend wanted to call Dr Jones from Argentina to thanks him !!! JUST DO IT !!!

25th October 2019

7 years ago Mr Tim Jones and his Neurosurgeocal team saved my life. The level of care and treatment I received afterwards was outstanding. Forever grateful. Alan Akhgar

24th January 2019

I had had Trigeminal Neuralgia for approximately 8 years and for the first 5 years or so the pain was controlled by drugs (Tegretol). Over time the pains returned and by the time I saw Tim Jones after carrying out my own research and having been referred by my GP I was absolutely desperate. My life was a struggle and I could understand why TN is described as the suicide pain. At my first appointment I couldn’t stop crying but Tim was so kind and understood that it was an indication of my pain. He discussed my options (surgical and non surgical) and referred me to a pain consultant (Dr Blackburn) who adjusted my medication whilst I decided what to do. As an MVD is elective surgery I had to be sure that it was the right decision for me. Tim suggested that I discuss it with my family as there are risks attached to this operation. After a lot of soul searching I decided to put my trust in him as this was my chance for an end to my pain. After one failed attempt (my bloods were wrong) I finally had my operation in August 2018. Everything went to plan and Tim came to see me straight after the operation to reassure me that he had in fact solved the problem. I have had no pains since. I would absolutely recommend Tim. He is professional, very kind and has a good sense of humour. A great Neurosurgeon. It is no exaggeration to day that he has literally changed my life!

10th November 2018

I had been diagnosed with a benign brain tumour, a hemangioblastoma, by a private scan in April 2016, and (as the MRI was done via a rheumatologist) had not seen any Neurologist or Neurosurgeon about what this meant -apart from i needed urgent brain surgery! So when i saw Tim Jones a week or so later i was (in my own opinion!) rather an emotional wreck... i also admitted to him that i was rather distrusting of doctors and have slightly different opinions to many- which he accepted and dealt with. That said he explained exactly what surgery i needed and why it was risky (my tumour being made up of blood vessels) and listened to my (quirky) views... After an admission to A&E he then decided i needed the surgery brought forwards - 18th May 2018 and in a 6 hour operation he removed the tumour successfully without me even needing the (likely) blood transfusion! My husband said he greeted him as he left theatre, before i was taken back to the ward, and assured him it all had gone well. I was released 48 hours after surgery- which i am sure in part was due to his skill. On the couple of follow up meetings not only did he totally answer my questions and concerns, but also spoke to me as a human and laughed with me about various topics. I owe this man my life- say no more! if anyone wants to read more - i wrote a book on my experience https://www.amazon.co.uk/ITS-ALL-MY-HEAD-Survive/dp/1549629093/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1507660655&sr=1-1&keywords=its+all+in+my+head&_encoding=UTF8&tag=jobarlow-21&linkCode=ur2&linkId=d00691ec6326a71c6e8a8409b52f0d7f&camp=1634&creative=6738

24th January 2018

Mr Timothy Jones treated me for a wound from surgery for MVD (microvascular decompression) that hadn't healed properly. I couldn't have asked for a better surgeon. Not only was he extremely friendly but he explained everything and made me feel totally at ease. He did a great job fixing the problem and I can't think of a single thing I would have changed about the care I received. At times I had to remind myself this was NHS; not private care. I can't recommend him enough!

• Neurosurgery

Timothy is a consultant neurosurgeon at St George's Hospital, London. He has a special interest in the management of facial pain, hemifacial spasm, spinal surgery & brain tumours and he is the Neuro-Oncology MDT lead clinician for St George's. Prior to becoming a consultant surgeon he undertook a PhD in brain tumour diagnosis using MRI scanning and a fellowship in brain tumour surgery. He co-ordinates a study into the surveillance of low-grade gliomas and has an active research interest in brain tumour surgery.

Nearest Neurosurgeons