Mr Timothy Jones

Timothy is a consultant neurosurgeon at St George's Hospital, London. He has a special interest in the management of facial pain, hemifacial spasm, spinal surgery & brain tumours and he is the Neuro-Oncology MDT lead clinician for St George's. Prior to becoming a consultant surgeon he undertook a PhD in brain tumour diagnosis using MRI scanning and a fellowship in brain tumour surgery. He co-ordinates a study into the surveillance of low-grade gliomas and has an active research interest in brain tumour surgery.

• Neurosurgery

2nd February 2017
Written by a carer at St George's Hospital

Marvelous surgeon. He gives total assurance to patient and family. His response to the patient is excellent.

11th December 2016
Written by a patient at St George's Hospital

My husband and I first met Tim in October 2015 a few weeks after being told by the stroke unit in St George's that my seizure wasn't due to a stroke, it was due to a brain tumour. Meeting Tim was great as he treated us like the intelligent, professional people that we are which made the whole situation easier to deal with from our side. We are a couple in our late 20s who approach everything in life (including brain tumours) with an evidence based factual approach rather than simply with emotion. We became frustrated in the stroke unit as they seemed to be perplexed at why we weren't panicking automatically when they said I actually had a brain tumour (without any further information given), so it was a relief to eventually get to be treated by someone like Tim... even though managing the administration of St George's (and the NHS in general) is a full time job in itself. That said, I imagine that if the patient and their support network needed more "emotional" or less facts based care then I imagine that Tim would be good there too. It became clear at the first meeting that he felt an awake craniotomy was the best way to proceed but there was no rush as we (and Tim) were getting married in early 2016 which we wanted to do before the operation, given there was no knowing how I would be after the surgery and it was a suspected low grade giloma on the frontal lobe which (fortunately) was not going anywhere fast. Studies on the tumour after the surgery showed it was a WHO grade II astrocytoma and around 95%+ of it was removed, which is a great success. I had the operation in early May 2016. Tim and the others in his team were great (including the anaesthetist Ashleigh who took photos of my brain and emailed them to me), and by that point I just wanted the whole thing to be over so that we could just deal with the next stage rather than talking about the unknown. Tim was also great with my hair - he shaved a 1cm strip next to my parting so after the staples were removed I could style my hair as I had done previously so that no one knew I had a scar/no hair. I am incredibly lucky in the sense that so far there hasn't really been any impact on my life. After the initial recovery period of about a week (where my mood was very subdued and I was very tired, as Tim had warned me) I became "back to normal" and returned to work within 6 weeks, doing reduced hours for a further 2 months. 7 months afterwards we have met with Tim a few times, and will continue to do so at intervals but at the moment I am just having MRIs until the tumour returns. He's also very responsive to emails, which is great. I assume that any readers of this will be reading it as either they themselves or someone they care about has a brain tumour and is possibly facing surgery. The stats that the charities use to raise funds are really really scary, particularly given a lot of people will be under 40, probably perfectly healthy in every other way and in the "prime" of their life. This last 18 months has given us a completely different perspective on life, but not everyone has it as bad as you will read in the Evening Standard or see on posters on the tube. I know we probably will not be so lucky at some point in the future... but right now, we're just living our lives as normal. Tim's professional approach to my care has been a great help in maintaining that normality and perspective.

14th October 2016
Written by a patient at St George's Hospital

Tim was amazing. Very honest and open throughout consultations. Made me feel comfortable and at ease during a very differcult time.

23rd August 2016
Written by a patient at St George's Hospital

I was in pain for a year and was sent to the pain clinic at kingston where there I felt that I was not being listened to I knew there was something wrong with me and it was more than sciatica . They did not what to do another MRI scan so I asked my doctor I wanted to see a specialist at St George's hospital. The day of my appointment I was meet by Mr Tim Jones he had my old Mri scan and was explaining what he could see and thought but the only difference was that when I spoke he listened and took note. He agreed with another MRI scan and thank God he did because on my next meeting with him he told me that I had a tumour in my spine. He explained details of the operation and the risks . At not one point did I not trust him. Even though there are risk with every operations I knew I was in good hands. I have had the operation and all as gone well. I thank you Mr Tim Jones for listening.

17th May 2016
Written by a patient at St George's Hospital

Dr Timothy Jones is an excellent neurosergent I was so lucky to meet! Amazing is the profetional way he kept in touch with me planning every step of my treatment regardless his tremendous work load.I am not surprised that he is someone qualified with first class honours and medal for most outstanding performance because in the real life he is perfectionist devoted to his job!

Nearest Neurosurgeons