mr-tevita-aho-1

Written by a patient at The Princess Grace Hospital
24th July 2020

During the problems caused by covid lockdowns, Tev Aho went the extra mile for me, perhaps several extra miles, getting a slot for my operation at a very early moment. His reputation among his colleagues is very high; more than once I was told " You couldn't be in better hands" and so it proved. His skill set doesn't just reside in his technical expertise, but in his humanity and consideration for his patient as someone with fears and feelings, carefully explaining what is involved and encouraging about the possible outcomes. In fact, at the age of 88, with a heart condition and on anticoagulants, I seem to have recovered quickly and without post operative pain, something I must ascribe to his surgical expertise. I rarely recommend anybody, since I am aware that everyone's experience is different, but I would have no hesitation in doing so in Mr Aho's case.

Written by a patient at The Princess Grace Hospital
15th July 2020

Postscript after 3 months. BPH is insidious. It slowly destroys your quality of life without you realising it has happened. Then it gets so bad a catheter is fitted. I lived with BPH for more than 6 years. I couldn’t live with the catheter. After nearly 4 months, in desperation, I visited the Cambridge Urology Partnership and was extremely fortunate to get a consultation with Mr Tev Aho the next day. I was even more fortunate to have my HoLEP scheduled for just 9 days later. It transpired that mine was the last but one before the Covid lockdown. I could have suffered for at least another year. The procedure was painless and the catheter was removed the following morning at 06.15. I left Princess Grace Hospital late afternoon the same day. I had been dreading the 50 mile ride home but there was no discomfort at all. I didn’t even need to rush to the toilet as soon as I got home. The only after effect from the op was 2 weeks of mild stinging / burning. I was walking and back on my allotment within those two weeks. A week later I was gently back in my gym on the rowing machine. A week after that back on my mountain bike after a break of two years. I’ve just had my 3 month review with Tev. My IPSS score has dropped from 27 to 1 ! Quality of life is now back to how it was10 years ago. I’m fit, windsurfing, kayaking and biking again. Perhaps more importantly, the lethargy which plagued me, has gone. I can smile again. Last week I was back volunteering in a local park. The fact that the toilets are still closed no longer worries me. Words cannot express my gratitude to Tev and his Team. He exudes confidence, compassion and empathy. The email support was like a comfort blanket. I wish I had had this done years ago ! If any man has doubts about undergoing a HoLEP or choosing Tev Aho for the procedure please feel free to contact me. Best wishes to Tev in his mission to rid all men of catheters.

Mr Aho's main specialty areas are male lower urinary tract symptoms/urinary retention and kidney cancer. Mr Aho offers Holmium Laser Enucleation of the Prostate (HoLEP) and Urolift for men with urinary problems and is the most experienced HoLEP surgeon in the UK having performed more than 1,800 procedures. He is also very experienced in laparoscopic and open kidney surgery

Nearest Urologists