Mr Tahir Mahmud

Mr Mahmud is an expert fellowship trained lower limb reconstruction Surgeon who completed his specialist Orthopaedic training in London and Canada. He works in both the NHS and in the private sectors at the Spire Regency in Macclesfield, the BMI Alexandra Hospital in Cheadle, The Wilmslow Hospital 52 Alderley Road; and The Spire Manchester Hospital. His NHS practice is based in Macclesfield where he is the lead Knee Surgeon. Mr Mahmud has considerable expertise in dealing with complex knee problems including sports injuries, Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) reconstruction, meniscal reparative surgery, cartilage regeneration surgery; and arthritis in the younger patient performing a range of knee preservation procedures. Mr Mahmud performs a large volume of knee and hip replacement surgery using the latest techniques which minimise soft tissue injury and promote a rapid recovery. He is a safe surgeon and has outstanding patient reported outcome measures (PROMS). Mr Mahmud has particular expertise in performing Robotic-assisted total knee replacements, Bespoke patient specific total knee replacements, Uni-compartmental knee replacements and revision total knee replacement surgery. Mr Mahmud has an interest in performing minimally invasive total hip replacements and offers this procedure at the BMI Alexandra Hospital in Cheadle.

18th June 2018
Written by a patient at BMI The Alexandra Hospital

Before my partial knee replacement was done by Mr Tahir Mahmud I had very limited mobility and experienced great pain and even had trouble sleeping. Six months after the operation I had a vacation in Florida and on previous trips I could not walk or enjoy a lot of activities that Florida has to offer. However, on this trip I was able to walk without pain and there wasn’t anything I couldn’t do. The partial knee replacement has changed my life. I am allergic to nickel so an alternative was used instead of the usual metal. I really can’t thank Mr Tahir Mahmud enough for taking such great care of me and I always felt I was in safe hands and feel very privileged to have been given such great care. My mobility has dramatically improved and I am able to continue and enjoy my life to the full which I intend to do thanks to my partial knee replacement and the expertise of Mr Tahir Mahmud who I highly recommend.

15th June 2018
Written by a patient at Spire Regency Hospital Macclesfield

I can only say that the treatment I received from Mr Mahmud and the staff at The Regency was excellent. Everyone made time to put me at ease and despite my original concerns re having a local I was totally unaware of the operation. I experienced no pain after the operation and am now back to doing the activities previously enjoyed. I would have no reservations about recommending Mr Mahmud and the team for anyone requiring this operation.

14th June 2018
Written by a patient at Spire Regency Hospital Macclesfield

I am a 57 year old self employed Landscape/Gardener who up until the past 7 years has enjoyed a very active lifestyle including participating in many different sports. Over the past seven years I have experienced an increasing amount of pain to both knees that has severely restricted my ability to carry out my physical work and also had a negative impact on my quality of life. I could no longer enjoy going on long walks with my wife, nor, enjoy simple tasks such as walking our pet dog. I have previously undergone bi-lateral knee arthroscopies on the onset of the knee pain approximately 10 years ago, this did improve my condition but only for a short duration of time. In the autumn of 2017 my local GP referred me to Mr Mahmud a specialist Knee and Hip Surgeon at The Spire Regency hospital at Macclesfield. At the initial consultation with Mr Mahmud I had a series of x-rays done on each knee that confirmed bone on bone changes within the medial compartments on both knees. I was keen to pursue a more permanent solution to my now quite severe knee pain and was told that a partial knee replacement was needed on each knee. Mr Mahmud then said that it was possible to have both knees operated on under the same anaesthetic and as I was very keen to get back to work as quickly as possible, this seemed the perfect solution for me. On the 14th December 2017 I was admitted to The Spire Regency Hospital, Macclesfield to undergo bilateral Oxford knee replacements on the same day under the same anaesthetic. I recall going into theatre around 1pm and waking up from the operation in my room around 5-30 later that afternoon. I was surprised how mobile I was immediately after the surgery and the very next day I was comfortably able to walk around the ward and negotiate stairs with the aid of my crutches. Two days later on the 16th of December I was discharged from the hospital. Whilst there was some minor swelling to both knees and a reduced amount of movement or bend of the knee, I was still surprisingly very mobile considering it was only a few days after surgery. I was given several exercises and stretches to complete at home as part of my immediate recovery programme and this rehabilitation work certainly helped my initial recovery. Two weeks after the surgery I started with regular physiotherapy with the aim to aid muscle strengthening and to increase the flexion to both knees. Within 4 weeks of my surgery I could walk without crutches or a stick and had over 120 degrees of flexion in both knees. By April 2018 I was able to start work and for the first time in over 10 years had no knee pain in either leg. In summary, I am so glad Mr Mahmud gave me the option of undergoing bilateral knee replacements on the same day and I would definitely recommend this option to anyone deemed fit to undergo this type of surgery. Mike Goodhind

Short link to review Mr Tahir Mahmud: http://iwgc.net/eftw6