Written by a patient at Springfield Hospital
26th July 2019

Following a footballing injury and MRI scan I was informed by dr Palmer that my acl was fully intact and with a few physio sessions I should be back to playing sport. Months of wasted time later it actually turns out that my acl has in fact completely torn and that I will need revision acl reconstruction. Not happy with the false info I was given and wasted time.

Written by a patient at Broomfield Hospital
10th December 2018

I first met Mr Palmer at Springfield hospital in July for a consultation about my knee.After an examination I was sent for an x-ray and returned to Mr Palmer for his opinion.He said that had two options, do nothing or have a total knee replacement.I opted for the replacement.I had existing health problems which were of concern to Mr Palmer and he said that he would like me to see his aneasthetist Dr Hywel Jones to see if he was happy for me to have the operation. Mr Palmer then told me what to expect from the procedure.He said that it was probably the most painful operation performed at the hospital and that I could expect to be in a great deal of pain for at least three weeks after the op but after five weeks or so the pain would be much less and diminishing.He also said that there would be an exercise regime after the op which would in itself be painful but very necessary to achieve full recovery. He said that we would meet again after I had seen Dr Jones. I did in fact see Dr Jones the following day and we had a very detailed discussion about my condition and existing medication and said that he was happy for the op to go ahead and that he would discuss my case in great detail with Mr Palmer. We discussed the operation itself and he took me through the procedure step by step.He was very professional but at the same time gave me a great deal of confidence that all would be well. He stressed the after effects of the operation but assured me that adequate pain relief would be provided for me. I had the operation on 10th August and during the procedure Dr Jones spoke with me all the while and and was a great comfort. felt no pain. Yes the recovery was painful and they were right about the time scales. For three weeks it was very painful but the pain relief provided was a great help in keeping the pain under control.The exercises were tough but but knowing that they were essential I did them religiously and on 20th September, one day short of the predicted six weeks I was able to go on holiday and managed quite comfortably. I saw Mr Palmer last week, on 6th December and he was happy to sign me off and told me I should now carry on as before even to the extent of driving again. The care I was afforded by Mr Palmer and Dr Jones and the nursing team at Springfield was , I would say second to none. If anyone is suffering the pain that I had then I would say go for the operation. If you are prepared to follow the medical advice given and put in the work afterwards you will not regret it.

Written by a patient at Springfield Hospital
29th March 2017

Mr Palmer was my Orthopaedic Consultant when I had a total knee replacement at Springfield Hospital 10 days ago. He visited me before the operation and explained the procedure very clearly and I was able to understand everything. I was awake during the operation but felt no pain or discomfort. I had great confidence in him throughout and his post-op visits to me were equally caring and considerate. A highly professional surgeon but also a very approachable man. I am making a speedy recover which I feel is all down to Mr Palmer's skills. I am indebted to him for such a positive experience and cannot recommend him highly enough

Written by a patient at Broomfield Hospital
19th August 2016

From the very start of my consultation for my T.K.R. I felt Mr Palmer was more than proficient in continuing with the replacement procedure. This is the second of my knee replacements and all that he said was in no way reduced by the familiarity of the first. The pain, the numbness, it is going to hurt we know it will hurt, we are prepared for it to hurt and you could die. All of this was true except the last bit but at least I knew what to expect. The result is now time has elapsed that I am pain free, an inch taller and can now continue with the long distance walking that sadly was denied previously.

• Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery