mr-simon-monkhouse

22nd August 2021

I was suffering from severe abdominal pain and ended up in A&E. Although an ultrasound scan showed no issues, Mr Monkhouse was concerned that there was still a problem. He performed an exploratory operation and was proved correct - he fixed the problem completely. The A&E doctors were going to discharge me (regardless of the pain). If Mr Monkhouse hadn't operated that day, my situation would have become very serious... Mr Monkhouse showed kindness, consideration and compassion at all times. A true professional and a gentleman!

Written by a private patient at Spire Gatwick Park Hospital
8th July 2021

I had my weight loss surgery (gastric bypass) with Doctor Monkhouse last May and my life already changed a lot. I’m so happy I choose this team for such an important step in my life. Dr. Monkhouse it’s amazing not only as a surgeon but from the human point of view he made me feel so safe all the way. He is very caring and always in touch with me and the team to be sure I was doing alright. I had a mild complication after surgery and he didn’t hesitate to do everything fast to make sure I was alright. He called my husband on the phone with updates and this was very important for us as my family couldn’t be with me at hospital because Covid restrictions. I never felt alone there , Dr. Monkhouse team is a great one with different specialists that will take care of you. I can’t recommend him enough.

24th April 2021

I have been working with Mr Monkhouse for the last six years. He is the most hardworking, caring and dedicated surgeon I have ever known. He always goes an extra mile for his Patients. Today is his birthday, though he is on call and working...I wish him the happiest Birthday ever! Bozena Yusuf

9th April 2021

Simon performed my very successful gastric bypass in September 2020. The experience was seamless but the after care and communication is quite extraordinary. Fast forward to 7 months later. The relationship and open dialogue that Simon builds with his patients meant I felt quite comfortable to contact him a week ago to explain that I had abdominal pain. At the time I felt a bit embarrassed as I thought it could be linked to doing an intense set of sit ups the day before! But Simon is always clear that bypass patients should take abdominal pain seriously, no matter how long after surgery. Simon was clear that if the pain intensified I was to go to A&E. By yesterday the pain had increased so off I went to A&E at East Spire. While the ultrasound and CT were both clear, Simon was adamant that I was presenting classic symptoms of an internal hernia or a bowel adhesion and a mere few hours later he operated! It turns out his suspicions were correct and after a quick surgery I was sorted out. Shortly after I was back home in my own bed. I could potentially have had quite a different outcome if I hadn’t felt comfortable to contact Simon about my symptoms. I felt quite sheepish contacting him initially as I was sure it would just be the result of a misjudged sit up! But he put me at ease and took me seriously. Simon not only changed my life when he did my gastric bypass last year, he potentially saved my life yesterday.

9th February 2021

I will be forever indebted to Mr Monkhouse and his amazing team for what they did for me, saving my life on numerous occasions whilst I was in his care. I know on a few occasions I wasn't clinically the easiest patient that you've ever dealt with but Mr Monkhouse worked around the problems I faced with professionalism, care, compassion and just by simply telling me that everything was going to be ok even though at times I thought it wouldn't be. From the moment I met Mr Monkhouse in the ICU of East Surrey Hospital I knew that I was in the best hands, he guided me through numerous specialist procedures. He was always there when I needed him, either on the ward or by email/phone on his days off! I would recommend anyone to Simon, knowing that he genuinely loves his job and always has his patients best interests at heart. Thank you for everything! Darren

Mr Simon Monkhouse was awarded the iWantGreatCare certificate of excellence in 2021 for delivering outstanding care.

MA MBBChir PGCME FRCS Consultant Upper GI & Bariatric Surgeon Mr Monkhouse was the recipient of the "Your Care Matters: improving the patient experience" award at the SASH Annual Staff Awards of Excellence 2015. This award is presented to a person whose great work is repeatedly highlighted.

Short link to review Mr Simon Monkhouse: http://iwgc.net/eckn6