Mr Simon M Higgs

Originally from the North East of England, Mr Higgs studied medicine at Bristol University with pre-registration house jobs spent in Taunton and Frenchay Hospital, Bristol. He spent a year in Perth Western Australia gaining experience in Emergency Medicine and a variety of surgical disciplines. Basic surgical training rotation was in Exeter where he cut his teeth in the operating theatre and developed a fascination for upper GI surgery particularly oesophageal cancer surgery and anti-reflux surgery. He studied under Professor Derek Alderson and Miss Sally Norton in Bristol for a 2 year period of research investigating the use of endoscopic ultrasound (EUS), EUS-guided biopsy and application of sentinel node theory in the management of oesophageal cancer. His research was presented at National and International meetings and was awarded a best trainee presentation prize at ISDE in Adelaide and BJS prize runner up at AUGIS in Dublin. His higher surgical training was spent throughout the South-West of England gaining experience in the full breadth of general and upper Gastro-Intestinal surgery. This rotation included significant periods of training in all the oesophagogastric and bariatric units in the South West where he consolidated his surgical skills becoming expert in minimally invasive surgical techniques and advanced endoscopy. After successfully becoming a fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England in 2010 and completing his higher surgical training in 2011, Mr Higgs was appointed as a Consultant General, Upper GI and Bariatric Surgeon to Gloucestershire Hospitals Foundation NHS Trust. He has been the clinical lead for The Three Counties OesophagoGastric Centre for 6 years and is now also the cancer and MDT lead. He has developed the endoscopic ultrasound service and introduced enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS) for oesophagectomy improving clinical outcomes and reducing length of stay. His main surgical interests lie in minimally invasive surgical techniques especially related to oesophageal and gastric cancer, reflux disease, giant hiatal hernia, gallstones, bile duct stones and achalasia. He remains dedicated to improving surgical outcomes with the use of enhanced recovery pathways. Education of surgeons of the future is extremely important and Mr Higgs was honoured to be nominated as trainer of the year by his trainees in 2017 and 2018. Cotswold Surgeon @ Imperial Medical Group is Mr Higgs’ private practice based at Nuffield Health Cheltenham Hospital offering outpatient and inpatient services mirroring his NHS practice. Endoscopic ultrasound is offered privately at Gloucester Royal Hospital along with surgery for those patients with more complex medical needs or those who need critical care facilities post-operatively.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

24th April 2019
Written by a patient at The Cheltenham Nuffield Hospital

Very helpful and listening to my many questions. A great sense of humour with it and I was left feeling like he understood my specific circumstances.

23rd April 2019
Written by a patient at The Cheltenham Nuffield Hospital

Simon was friendly and calming from the beginning. This was my first experience of surgery so I was naturally worried and unsure of processes. He was informative at the right levels; he explained things through words and drawings for even easier understanding and to ensure I understood what was happening. He kept me calm when requried and even ensured that my parents who had taken me in for the operation were involved, informed and also kept calm. I would recommed him again and would feel at ease to know I was under his care regardless of the situation should it be needed again.

19th April 2019
Written by a patient at The Cheltenham Nuffield Hospital

I was referred to Simon Higgs by Jonathan Eaton, who is treating me for prostate cancer, after I had some terrible episodes with severe abdominal pain. A gall bladder problem was quickly diagnosed though a combination of ultrasound and CT scan. Removal of the offending organ by keyhole surgery was recommended as the best option for long term solution. Having had problematic prostate surgery three months earlier, I was very apprehensive about undergoing another bout, but this was a much simpler operation, using keyhole techniques. I was nervous about the risk of open surgery having to be carried out if keyhole was impractical due to my previous scars, but everything went well. I was well informed throughout and felt confident in Simon's approach. The staff at the hospital were really helpful and very supportive. My recovery has been straightforward so far. I was out of hospital the day after surgery and not using any pain relief a couple of days later. I have had no repeat episodes of abdominal pain and feel good. I am going back to work nest week and looking forward to complete recovery on all fronts. I have no hesitation in recommending Simon Higgs and Nuffield Cheltenham.

3rd March 2019

Nothing to add.

20th February 2019
Written by a patient at The Cheltenham Nuffield Hospital

when you go to the hospital for your pre-op appointment and a problem is found the link between my doctor and the operation team there seems to be a lack of communication between the two departments my doctor Is this because my doctor is NHS

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 »