Mr Simon M Higgs

Originally from the North East of England, Mr Higgs studied medicine at Bristol University with pre-registration house jobs spent in Taunton and Frenchay Hospital, Bristol. He spent a year in Perth Western Australia gaining experience in Emergency Medicine and a variety of surgical disciplines. Basic surgical training rotation was in Exeter where he cut his teeth in the operating theatre and developed a fascination for upper GI surgery particularly oesophageal cancer surgery and anti-reflux surgery. He studied under Professor Derek Alderson and Miss Sally Norton in Bristol for a 2 year period of research investigating the use of endoscopic ultrasound (EUS), EUS-guided biopsy and application of sentinel node theory in the management of oesophageal cancer. His research was presented at National and International meetings and was awarded a best trainee presentation prize at ISDE in Adelaide and BJS prize runner up at AUGIS in Dublin. His higher surgical training was spent throughout the South-West of England gaining experience in the full breadth of general and upper Gastro-Intestinal surgery. This rotation included significant periods of training in all the oesophagogastric and bariatric units in the South West where he consolidated his surgical skills becoming expert in minimally invasive surgical techniques and advanced endoscopy. After successfully becoming a fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England in 2010 and completing his higher surgical training in 2011, Mr Higgs was appointed as a Consultant General, Upper GI and Bariatric Surgeon to Gloucestershire Hospitals Foundation NHS Trust. He has been the clinical lead for The Three Counties OesophagoGastric Centre for 6 years and is now also the cancer and MDT lead. He has developed the endoscopic ultrasound service and introduced enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS) for oesophagectomy improving clinical outcomes and reducing length of stay. His main surgical interests lie in minimally invasive surgical techniques especially related to oesophageal and gastric cancer, reflux disease, giant hiatal hernia, gallstones, bile duct stones and achalasia. He remains dedicated to improving surgical outcomes with the use of enhanced recovery pathways. Education of surgeons of the future is extremely important and Mr Higgs was honoured to be nominated as trainer of the year by his trainees in 2017 and 2018. Cotswold Surgeon @ Imperial Medical Group is Mr Higgs’ private practice based at Nuffield Health Cheltenham Hospital offering outpatient and inpatient services mirroring his NHS practice. Endoscopic ultrasound is offered privately at Gloucester Royal Hospital along with surgery for those patients with more complex medical needs or those who need critical care facilities post-operatively.

« 1 2 3 4 5 »

12th February 2019
Written by a patient at The Cheltenham Nuffield Hospital

Mr Higgs explained the procedure and everything involved with it in a clear & concise way. He answered all of my questions in a way a patient can easily understand even using diagrams.

20th December 2018
Written by a patient at The Cheltenham Nuffield Hospital

At our first meeting I was immediately struck by Mr Higgs' ability to make me feel at ease. I appreciated the clarity of his diagnosis of my medical condition and the explanation he then gave me of the corrective keyhole surgery procedure he recommended to me. On the day of the surgery Mr Higgs met me in my hospital room and explained every aspect of the day ahead of me - the When, the Where, the Who and the How. I felt very reassured by this meeting. After surgery Mr Higgs spoke to me in the recovery room and confirmed that all had gone to plan. Later on in the early evening, he returned to see me in my hospital room and we mutually decided that I was fit enough to be discharged and therefore go home that night. Some 10 days after my surgery I had a follow-up meeting with Mr Higgs at the hospital. He examined me and confirmed the procedure had rectified the original problem and the small external incisions he'd made had healed very well. So from start to finish I felt very well informed and also had total confidence in Mr Higgs. In truth I cannot suggest how any aspect of the care he gave me could be improved upon.

19th December 2018
Written by a patient at The Cheltenham Nuffield Hospital

I saw Mr Higgs for initial consultation six days after referall by my GP. We discussed my condition and I was given full information about treatment options.The discussion was interactive and I agreed to the recommended course of treatment.Mr Higgs was friendly with good interpersonal skills. Eight weeks after consultationI entered the hospital for a day procedure to correct my condition. Mr Higgs visited me beforehand and twice after the procedure before I was discharged the same day. I was given full support at all times. After leaving hospital I suffered no negative after effects or pain and made a rapid recovery. I again saw Mr Higgs ten days later for final consultation. Overall the experience was very satisfactory.

14th December 2018
Written by a patient at The Cheltenham Nuffield Hospital

A delightful gentleman with a real sense of humour, who gave the impression that he had all the time in the world to answer any questions. I felt very confident with the way he dealt with my situation. Everything went very smoothly and I recovered quickly, no doubt due to his expertise. I only have one comment and this refers to the Nuffield Hospital ‘package’ which included one night in hospital. As I am now in my late eighties I would have appreciated a 2 night stay.

14th December 2018
Written by a patient at The Cheltenham Nuffield Hospital

A charming gentleman with delightful sense of humour. Gave the impression of having all the time in the world to answer questions and explain the procedure. I felt totally confident that the procedure was in safe hands. All went according to plan and I recovered very quickly no doubt due to feeling secure and happy in his care. My only comment concerns the Nuffield package which included one night in hospital. Now in my late eighties I would have been happier with 2 nights rather than one, though I appreciate that the trend today is for as short a time in hospital as possible.

« 1 2 3 4 5 »